1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time back I heard that the Tisas clone of the Hi-Power might be imported at some point in the near future. Has anybody heard anything new on this?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Howdy Black Jack,

Nothing definitive yet. There has been lots of buzz here on the forum. Tisas might be the coolest thing to impact the Hi Power community in years.

Rumors hint at maybe an announcement regarding Tisas import this summer.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they're true.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
But, why oh why did they follow FEG and build them with hump and bump sights? I would hope that they import them into the US with dovetailed front and rear.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
But, why oh why did they follow FEG and build them with hump and bump sights? I would hope that they import them into the US with dovetailed front and rear.
I would suspect the guy who places the order gets what he wants on details like the sights.

Maybe all we need to do is sign up a thousand buyers - you know, one of those GoFundMe or whatever they call it campaigns. Along with somebody to take care of the permits and other stuff of course. Then you could have stainless (like the Canadians do), the sights you like, etc.

Maybe they decided the more classic look of the original HPs, complete with the itty bitty sights would sell better? The small original safety that most who carried the original HPs still prefer after learning from Day One to wipe it off safe with the joint of their thumb?

If you don't think so, did you wonder why the C Broad Arrow old Canadian arsenal mark is also on their pistols? That's an appeal to Canadian tradition for the Canadian market, right there.

http://www.odellengineeringltd.com/canhps.html

Military trivia... Philip O'Dell was one of the project leaders in Canada's Small Arms Replacement Project 30 years ago when they transitioned from the FN FAL C1 to the M16 variant that has since transitioned to the C7A2. Presumably, got a long look at the Inglis pistols as part of the SARP (which included pistols at the time, but was never acted on like for the other weapons).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
My opinion: A base gun gives everyone the same platform upon which to do their own (inevitable) mods. When you start "updating," you start wasting money on things people are going to redo anyway.

I am reasoning from the example of cars. A used car that is stock OEM is more desirable than one that has been modded to death by some genius with more money than brains.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You could be right on the base gun thought. But we're weirdos - I think most people just buy a handgun and go shooting. The affectionados aren't the core of the market that pays the bills (I suspect), unless you cater to those people specifically i.e. Baer, Brown et al.

We don't see many people with worked on pistols come through the courses. A few, but most are carrying a box stock Glock, with the other polymers trailing along behind.

But if I was an expert on marketing, I would be posting this from the deck of my yacht anchored just off the coast of Patagonia, enjoying a shore lunch before heading back for the afternoon flyfishing for massive rainbow trout....

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
My opinion: A base gun gives everyone the same platform upon which to do their own (inevitable) mods. When you start "updating," you start wasting money on things people are going to redo anyway.
This is a point of view that has some merit. None of my Hi Powers' end configurations depended on what the original sights were.

Still, there will be those who want better sights right out of the box of at least the MK III standard. FM went with MK III dimensioned dovetails, which allows the no-milling use of Mepro, Trijicon, Dawson Precision and other such aftermarket HP-specific sights.

I suspect that if the demand were there, then like Jager stated, the shooter could get just about anything within reason.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Having been stationed in Turkey twice, I can say with some certainty the "money talks" holds true there.

If someone wants a MKIII version and is willing to lay down the money to make it economically viable you will get your MkIII(s) in whatever finish or configuration you want...

Of course I don' have the money... :hrm:

V/r

Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
There may be as many people who want a true-to-period reproduction(-sh) gun as want a gun with 2017 sights, but you gentlemen may be correct.

Note: The polymer gun people in your class might not be the best comparable because a) who buys a Glock just to mod it? and b) Glocksters probably will never be Tisas HP buyers. Just guessing.

Mind if I PM you about your classes? Maybe you could train me to actually hit something.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There may be as many people who want a true-to-period reproduction(-sh) gun as want a gun with 2017 sights, but you gentlemen may be correct.

Note: The polymer gun people in your class might not be the best comparable because a) who buys a Glock just to mod it? and b) Glocksters probably will never be Tisas HP buyers. Just guessing.

Mind if I PM you about your classes? Maybe you could train me to actually hit something.
You can PM me. We're in Montana; I don't own the school, another ex-military instructor does. We don't travel; everybody wants to sleep in their own bed every night and mostly spend time with their families and kids. We don't try and convince people that once we're done they might get picked up as a walk on for Seal Team Six, either.

I think everybody enjoys our courses, but the reality is that it's more than likely there are many schools much closer to you who would teach very similar stuff in a very similar fashion, run by people every bit as competent. Come to Montana for the flyfishing and hunting instead. Or motorcycling, if you like dual sporting in the mountains.

I think hitting something comes down to that old Arnold Palmer line "I find the more I practice the luckier I get". I used to dry fire half an hour every day, religiously, when I was hungry to compete and be at the top. Now I just like to shoot, and competition is more about socializing with guys I've known for decades than competing. Not hungry anymore.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Well, the ex-Ranger dude who owns the school is a Glockster. He's got some trigger kit in it, some other stuff he's told me he did to it/stuck in it/put in it. I don't remember - I've shot his Glock a few times to see how I do with it and it is still a Glock, whatever he did to it. Seems no different to me. Has all the charm and grace of the 81mm mortar - it is a machine for a purpose, nothing else. Reliable, hits where you point it, goes bang every time you pull the trigger, etc. Nothing else.

He has a matching amount of disinterest in my High Powers, other than to try them occasionally out of curiosity. So there ya go.

But as far as modding Glocks goes, a few days ago he was telling me they are thinking of starting a little Glock modding business and would I be interested in working on that. When I told him I would never let anyone think I am a gunsmith, he said it would mostly be sticking replacement bits and pieces in them, on them, something like that. Trigger kits, barrels, stuff like that I assume. I could always learn to stipple with a soldering iron or carry melt jobs with a propane torch or something like that I guess... One thing about screwing up a Glock customization job - you wouldn't have to worry about having just screwed up a classic work of art.

Anyways, he's one guy who apparently thinks there are enough Glocksters who ARE interested in one way or another in customizing their glocks. Mike seems to have pretty good business sense, so who knows.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
d him I would never let anyone think I am a gunsmith, he said it would mostly be sticking replacement bits and pieces in them, on them, something like that. Trigger kits, barrels, stuff like that I assume. I could always learn to stipple with a soldering iron or carry melt jobs with a propane torch or something like that I guess... One thing about screwing up a Glock customization job...
Which begs the question, how would one tell a Glock customization had been screwed up? You could just tell 'em the gooey plastic parts are are supposed to be that way, and that they're gonna be the first ones on their block to have the new special tactical mod.
You might get his buds coming in wanting the same thing.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I think everybody enjoys our courses, but the reality is that it's more than likely there are many schools much closer to you who would teach very similar stuff in a very similar fashion, run by people every bit as competent. Come to Montana for the flyfishing and hunting instead. Or motorcycling, if you like dual sporting in the mountains.
Duly noted. I think a part of me was looking for an excuse to go to Montana. I was just today talking with a friend at the gym, a retired LAPD. Lovely guy, did a little bit of everything when he was on the job — hostage negotiator, homicide, special liaison with FBI, etc. Now, he spends his time traveling. He was advising me to move to Billings. He says it's a great place, college town, low cost of living. Apparently, he hasn't heard about the snow that you guys get.

Reliable, hits where you point it, goes bang every time you pull the trigger, etc.
I was thinking that this is why most people buy Glocks. Therefore, no need to mod it. But maybe even the average person needs a suppressor, night sights and a NY trigger. I dunno. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Duly noted. I think a part of me was looking for an excuse to go to Montana. I was just today talking with a friend at the gym, a retired LAPD. Lovely guy, did a little bit of everything when he was on the job — hostage negotiator, homicide, special liaison with FBI, etc. Now, he spends his time traveling. He was advising me to move to Billings. He says it's a great place, college town, low cost of living. Apparently, he hasn't heard about the snow that you guys get.
Billings, Bozeman, and Missoula is where we store our California refugees and California students who kind of want Montana to be like California... I don't go there.

Well, to the Bozeman area sometimes... for the flyfishing. Head north. Isn't any high cost of living in Montana, except for some of the lakeshore property.

Yes, we do get snow. It goes away once a year. I can now see the lawn as of all the rain today.

I was thinking that this is why most people buy Glocks. Therefore, no need to mod it. But maybe even the average person needs a suppressor, night sights and a NY trigger. I dunno. :)
I dunno either. Seriously, I dunno. For those who really like them, there's probably stuff they'd prefer slightly different. I know the locals who carry 10mm Glocks often put an aftermarket barrel in them; tolerate heavier loads, they've told me.

·
Registered
374 Posts
... I was thinking that this is why most people buy Glocks. Therefore, no need to mod it. But maybe even the average person needs a suppressor, night sights and a NY trigger. I dunno. :)
The stock trigger is long and stiff enough, the NY trigger is for weight lifters; its pure crap. If I recall from Glock Armorers class the NY trigger is 12 pounds.

Probably half of the Glocks I've seen that had any aftermarket parts had become unreliable. Who in their right mind would alter their parachute?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The stock trigger is long and stiff enough, the NY trigger is for weight lifters; its pure crap. If I recall from Glock Armorers class the NY trigger is 12 pounds.

Probably half of the Glocks I've seen that had any aftermarket parts had become unreliable. Who in their right mind would alter their parachute?
We are on the same page, sir. I agree with you. But when it comes to Glocks, I only know what I hear. Sorta like to get one, tho. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts