1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
sant:
Very nice pistol. What kind of finish is that on the frame? Thanks for sharing the pic.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used Caspian parts throughtout except for the Novak sights and Kart barrel. I was going to send the gun to Robar for their NP3 finish but the customer didn`t want to wait the extra four weeks so I ended up hard chroming the slide and putting clear Gun Kote on the frame. I`ll let you know how it holds up.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Does titanium realloy need to be coated? It is my understanding that it does not corrode. Thanks

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your correct Titanium doesn`t need to be coated but in talking with Caspian they said that the baked on finishes will make the frame to slide fit feel smoother. They were right because another titanium gun I built does not feel as nice when you work the slide.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Can you provide some details on the front strap treatment? It looks like a combination of checkering and stippling.

TIA,

Mike

·
Registered
806 Posts
sant, that is a GREAT looking gun. Very nice!!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi: Did you have to mate the titanium frame to the slide? Did you use their regular titanium frame or the Race Ready version? Thanks, Andrew

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MAP: The front strap is a checkering /stippling combo. I`ll post a close up picture tomorrow.

Andrew45: I used their regular titanium frame. The rails come over size for fitting. Not any more difficult than the steel versions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
sant said:
MAP: The front strap is a checkering /stippling combo. I`ll post a close up picture tomorrow.

Andrew45: I used their regular titanium frame. The rails come over size for fitting. Not any more difficult than the steel versions.
Can you tell us about the weight of the titanium vs. alloy or steel and finally for some of us poorer shooters, how much is one like the piece you featured here?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAP: here is a picture of the front strap. Eventually I`ll get better with my camera

hazmat: I did a search and found Caspians answer to your weight questions. Here is what they said about their frames

Aluminum 4.6 oz
Titanium 7.3 oz
Steel 11.9 oz

The cost of the gun pictured was 2200.00

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi SANT: Can you tell me what kind of tools do you need to fit the Titanium frame to slide? Is it something a home/hobby gunsmith can do? Thanks:)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bluetooth:"sant, nice job. Is there anything you don't like about Ti?"

Yea , the price. Titanium is more expensive than carbon steel . I don`t know if its the material that cost more or the difficulty in machining it. Then again I didn`t have any trouble working with it. It didn`t seem any harder to checker or mill than anything else I`ve worked with.

Andrew45: Normally I fit my frame and slides by removing metal with my surface grinder but Titanium won`t hold on a magnetic chuck so I used my milling machine with a new carbide end mill. If you only have hand tools it will probably take awhile . Caspian will fit them for you for a fee.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
The more I look at the pics of that Ti Commander, the more I want one. I'm drooling man !!!

(edited spelling)

·
Registered
6 Posts
. If you only have hand tools it will probably take awhile . Caspian will fit them for you for a fee. [/B][/QUOTE]
will caspian fit my slide if i send it to them on there titanium light rail lower or will they only fit there slide to there lower and what do you think the turnaround would be ? and if i wonted to fit my own slide what hand tools would i need ?
i have a colt 1911 slide i lowerd the port on and flared it my first smith job it turned out realy good the slide is at my smith now for a set of wilsons night sites cutting the dove tail for the front site and a teflon black coat.

thanks for the input.

edit:: BTW thats one smooth lookin gun you built there:rock:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don`t want to speak for Caspian but they probably only want to fit their own slides I don`t think their interested in fitting a Colt slide. As for which hand tools you can use I guess your limited to the basic stuff like files, stones and emery cloth. I would wait on having the teflon finish put on the slide until its fit. I might also add that since your using a Colt slide it might fit on as is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the reply. i went out today and found a px9152L with a very tight slide to frame fit so i bought it for $680.00 out the door new. it has ajustable night sites and is the stainless model with park two tone and a mag well maybe i got a good deal ? just couldnt help myself:biglaugh:
i am still building the colt the slide should be done saturday.

thanks....:)

edit about the hand tools:: that's what i was thinking files maybe emery cloth or a stone i am no expert but i am very handy with the hands.
all the noledge on this site even i can maybe try some 1911 custom work .

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sant

that is beautiful.

Did you get the frame pre-checkered from Caspian, and then stipple around it, or did you do the checkering also?

thank you

Richard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts