1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed a steel 80 percent para ramped frame to go with my recon slide...I just decided that I would like to coat it in black by titanium nitride process...or is it carbon nitride? whatever, as long as it is black and bulletproof!

anyway, are there any recommendations on who to contact regarding what I need done?
I am on a budget so I would like to know the most economical as well as the best of the best.

will the frame not being stamped with a serial number pose to be a problem with shipping to and from?

:confused:

·
Registered
640 Posts
These people : http://titaniumgun.com/
are the only ones I know who do titanium nitride coating on firearms and the coating is gold not black.

For a very durable black coating I would go with a diamond like coating from this company:http://www.ionbond.com/en/coating-services/decorative/deco-and-sport/firearms/

The coating is virtually indestructible and it can be done in black.

The lack of a serial number may pose a tougher problem to solve than which coating to use. I'm not sure but I believe you may have trouble getting anyone to accept the frame to work on without a serial number.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Titanium Nitride is gold (a lot of gold Desert Eagles are TiNi). Nitrding/carbon nitride/nitrocarburizing (same thing, many names) is that deep black color. If you want a good carbon Nitrding service, look up Severns Custom. His HARD HAT finish is well known on the forum.

And just FYI, nitrocarburizing isn't a coating like I on Bond or Cerakote, but rather it's process that induces a chemical change in the metal and causes the surface to become extremely hard. Think of it like color case hardening on steroids - WAY more durable, and it's black. Glocks, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Dan Wesson Duty Treatment, and Guncrafter Industries Melon it are all the same basic thing.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sounds like a call to your local ATFE office might be in order. I'm sure someone on here knows how to do it though. I do have the black ionbond finish on my 9mm Fusion, looks good, seems tough.

·
Registered
21,854 Posts
Put a serial number on it. Make something up.
I would check with one of the shops putting the required verbiage on Short Barreled Rifles.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sounds like a call to your local ATFE office might be in order. I'm sure someone on here knows how to do it though. I do have the black ionbond finish on my 9mm Fusion, looks good, seems tough.
I guess I am going to gave to stamp a few letters and digits on the frame. maybe ill just stamp my license plate number...anyway, it was never an issue with cerakoting services. I've had dozens of non serialized aluminum frames get cerakoted by supposed FFL holders and they said no serial...no problem.

so I wonder why this nitride or ion bond service is any different?

so you mean to tell me I need to coat the 80 percent frame and then start the process of rails and holes and hand fitting parts? That would definitely screw up the finish.

well the frame has rails and is ramped but I have yet to drill five holes (ejector leg holes, mainspring housing pin hole, hammer pin hole and sear pin hole) which are all necessary...can it still pass for an 80 percent at its current state?

I really would like to fit parts first and then coat last...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Titanium Nitride is gold (a lot of gold Desert Eagles are TiNi). Nitrding/carbon nitride/nitrocarburizing (same thing, many names) is that deep black color. If you want a good carbon Nitrding service, look up Severns Custom. His HARD HAT finish is well known on the forum.

And just FYI, nitrocarburizing isn't a coating like I on Bond or Cerakote, but rather it's process that induces a chemical change in the metal and causes the surface to become extremely hard. Think of it like color case hardening on steroids - WAY more durable, and it's black. Glocks, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Dan Wesson Duty Treatment, and Guncrafter Industries Melon it are all the same basic thing.
well the frame is being mated to a Para Recon slide assembly which is coated in ion bond. I was wondering how the two different coats would look with each other (ion bond slide with a carbo nitride frame)?

I can go the ion bond route, but figured if im going to coat the frame, might as well go for the toughest available. any opinions on what I should do?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would coat last after I was sure everything was working right and looking like I wanted it to.
ok that makes tons of sense. but apparently sending out a completed 80 percent frame poses to be a problem unless theres a serial number.

I have zero intentions on selling this thing...does that even matter?

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
ok that makes tons of sense. but apparently sending out a completed 80 percent frame poses to be a problem unless theres a serial number.

I have zero intentions on selling this thing...does that even matter?
Contact the actual vendor whom will be doing the work to find out for sure. I do not know one way or the other if those that are saying it might be a problem have ever looked into it or dealt with it. If I had to bet I would bet that they have not dealt with it before.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks people for all the help and info. I will look into some of the vendors mentioned above. would there happen to be anymore, please throw it into this thread. thanks a bunch!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts