1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there (or in there) have any information or opinions on titanium parts? Particulary the hammer strut, mainspring cap, and firing pin. Thanks!

------------------
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get
yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days
is to go about repeating the very phrases which our
founding fathers used in the struggle for independence.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
They are much lighter than steel parts. I asked a top gunsmith about them in terms of reliability and in his opinion they are about the same as steel parts.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by kbear38S:
They are much lighter than steel parts. I asked a top gunsmith about them in terms of reliability and in his opinion they are about the same as steel parts.
Make sure we are not talking about TiN coated parts. Once the anodizing wears off, the parts are significantly softer than steel.

IMHO, titanium parts belong on competition guns. I would not put them on carry/self defense weapons.

·
Super Moderator
7,789 Posts
Titanium parts, while expensive, are just about worthless. The only part I would consider would be the mainspring cap as it isn’t a "load bearing" part.

Tom
AF Shooting Team

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just replaced the titanium firing pin in my SA Champion with a steel firing pin.

It's my understanding that SA chose Titanium for firing pins to reduce the likelihood of inertia-firing in case the gun were dropped on the muzzle.

I've read posted opinions that titanium firing pins are more subject to primer cup metal extruding into the firing pin hole in the case of hot loads, due to lower inertia of the lighter firing pin.

I've read posted opinions that titanium is just not as tough as steel.

In any case, I'm just more comfortable with a steel firing pin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts