1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a hankerin' to try one (or more) of the CRKT brand of knives. Even though the prices are reasonable, there is quite a difference in price for the same exact knife with different handles. For example, an M16 with a Zytel handle is $29, an M16 with an aluminum handle is $47 and an M16 with a Titanium handle is $87. [prices approximate]

For an everyday carry knife, is the Titanium handled one really worth the added expense? Is it that much lighter, stronger and/or more durable?

(In addition to getting the M16, I'm also looking at the Lightfoot model.)

·
Registered
554 Posts
It is both stronger and lighter. Whether it's worth the price difference is a personal decision. I have several knives with Titanium Handles and they are more comfortable to carry, but frankly, I notice only a small difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I too was looking at the three handle options when I considered buying an M16. The coolness factor for the titanium handle was as high as the weight was low. Unfortunately the knife didn't seem balanced to me when the blade was open and I ended up getting the Zytel handled version. I don't regret it and I have since gotten a CRKT Point Guard with Zytel handle scales.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I have the M16-T Big Dog it is as solid as any knife I own. I also have a sebenza, 2 emersons, a hand made Crawford and countless others. I also have the M1 lightfoot. All are good knives. I think the Zytel would hold up for most cutting, but the Ti would hold up better for any hard use jobs in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts