1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

As anybody reloaded 9mm- 147gr lead bullet using Titegroup? I have had good accuracy with jacketed bullet and would like to try some cast...

Thanks,
Mike.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I haven't loaded any lead in 9mm, but I have loaded some plated 147's with 3.3gr Titegroup. They shot OK but felt quite snappy and harsh compared to say, 3.5gr VV N320.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I second the Snappiness of TG.
I have tried TG with both lead and jacketed 147's and I settled on VV N-340. Slower, more even recoil impulse.

TG Load tried was also 3.3gr, mixed brass, Rem 1-1/2 SPP, 147gr LRNFP. My notes state Very Snappy, Accurate in both G-17 and BHP. Lots of Muzzle flip.

Good luck & be safe,
Bert

PS. You might want to look into VV Powders or (I'm trying this next) Clays (straight not univ.).

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
BETTER QUESTION, FRANKLY

"What slower-than-TG powder should I be testing under my 147's?"

"Why, try Ramshot Silhouette, 3N37, Alliant Power Pistol, and WAP."

·
Super Moderator
14,732 Posts
I've been on a quest for about the last 4 years trying to find an accurate 9mm lead load. Sunday I'm going to be testing 147gr Bushwacker lead flat point bullets using Unique & Blue Dot. I have great hopes for the Blue Dot load. It was extremely accurate for me with Remington 147gr JHP's. I'll report back on this thread after I try it.

Although Titegroup is my "standard" powder for all of my 45 & 9mm loads, I thought a slower powder would be better for the 147gr bullet.

Good shooting.....Rod.

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
TWO SHOTS ONE HOLE

I've had success with 147g LFP and 4.6g 3N37. CCI500. Speer case.
Theoretically, of course.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input:)

I tried TG this past weekend, and yes, it is somewhat snappy :rolleyes: I guess my next try is going to be with some 231 or some Universal... If I can get it before the weekend.

Also, any idea on how to cure the <black powder> effect? If my loads creats lots of smoke, would decreasing it change anything...

Mike.

·
Super Moderator
14,732 Posts
Had disappointing results yesterday with 147gr LFP and two different loads of 4.5gr Unique and 6.2gr Blue Dot. 25yard sandbag rest, 5-shot groups, averaged 4" for both. The best single group was 3" for 5-shots, with the best 4 of the 5 measuring 1.375". This was with the blue dot load.

Of course it could be my shooting ability or the gun itself. :)

I'm going to keep experimenting. I know that "perfect" 9mm lead load is out there. :D

Rod.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the things that I have found with lead rounds is that they take a slightly slower powder. This is because of the ignition impulse seems to be too fast to obturate the bullet in the barrel. Going with a slower powder adds duration to the ignition impulse and the presure spike is still building as the bullet enters the bore. This causes a more complete seal in the bore and as such causes less erosion leading and increases velocity and accuracy (for a given round).

The best 9mm lead load that I have is with VV N-340 and a TNT?Star 147 LRNFP (Sorry, but I don't have my loads notes handy). VV Powders are hard to find, so the next time I buy powder, it'll be "CLAYS". I hear very good things from everyone that shoots it (Many Calibers).

Later,
Bert

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am shooting a tennessee valley 147 gr lead using 4.0 grs of IMR 4756. Out of my 6 inch barrel, I am getting 850fps. Accurate and soft. I did not care for titegroup either - snappy.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
I must be totally recoil insensitive. TG group feels very soft to me. Come on guys, we are talking about a 9mm here! Try 3.0 gr. of TG with a 147 gr bullet. There is almost no recoil from a Glock 34 let alone a heavy 1911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also, any idea on how to cure the <black powder> effect? If my loads creats lots of smoke, would decreasing it change anything...
Mike, With TG, cutting back will increase the problem. TightGroup loves presure...
At lower levels, your load will get flakey and groups will fall apart. At higher presure (upper end near max) TG cleans up very nicely, the smoke goes away, and the group size gets nice and small.

"What slower-than-TG powder should I be testing under my 147's?"
Weshoot, I have had great luck with 147's and VV N-340. I have tried 231, WST, WSF, N-320, TG, Bulls Eye, Unique....
TG is nice for a fast impulse with jacketed rounds, but when it comes to LEAD, slower powders are the clear winner. Any of the aforementioned powders will work, but My favorite so far is the N-340.

It really boils down to what you are looking for in accuracy and recoil impulse.
I like heavy lead loads with Slow/Med speed powder for a moderate/slow recoil impulse. (The eyes are not as fast as they used to be).

Later,
Bert

·
Registered
215 Posts
Tried a friend's load of 3.1 of V V 310 with a 147 grn Jacketed from a Glock 34 and it was very soft. The softest I've tried. Very accurate as well. Don't know what the OAL is though. 128 PF.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts