1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently been shooting my Springfield RO in 45acp, been trying some coated round nose 200 and 230gr accuracy was fair, so i had some Penn 200gr SWC plain lead, and they were extremely accurate had 4 shots under 1inch then i had to blow it out by 1/2" well anyways this brings me to ask 2 questions, did the accuracy come from the plain lead bullet or was it the SWC design, and i ask where i bought the bullets about Titegroup powder, he said if its working fine but Titegroup gets a bad rep with lead bullets, my load is 4.2 gr of TG and its scary accurate, so i am running low on the 200gr lead SWC bullets, will i get the same accuracy with coated SWC bullets, any other powder that will give me this kind of accuracy.

Chet

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I can't speak about 200gr lead bullets but I've had great results (velocity avg 785fps & accuracy about 2" at 25') with 230gr FMJ & 4.7grs Titegroup.
I can't see why Titegroup wouldn't so the same for your loads.

As far as a replacement powder for TG, I'll recommend Bullseye or W231/HP38 (if you can find it).
Using a 200gr plated flat nose, I've gotten less than 2" accuracy at 25' with 4.5grs of either powder.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The only issue I've found with TiteGroup and lead is smoke.
My accuracy is the same plain, coated or plated.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
If you like Titegroup, you should try 4.2 gr of WST behind some 200 gr LSWC's. Absolute pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I get one ragged hole groups with 4.5grs of Titegroup and Missouri Bullet Company's 200gr SWC, 230gr RNL and 230gr FMJ. All Hi-Tek coated.

The only other powder that even comes close is Bullseye and WST.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Depending on the particular gun, 4.0 to 4.6 Titegroup under a cast 200 SWC delivers top notch accuracy for me.

·
Premium Member
4,580 Posts
I shoot a lot of Titegroup in multiple calibers and love the results. My favorite load is 4.2gr under a 45 caliber Missouri Bullet 185gr "Button Bullet" SWC. As accurate as I can ask for, they run right at 856fps out of my 5" CQB.

Grumpy

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you like Titegroup, you should try 4.2 gr of WST behind some 200 gr LSWC's. Absolute pleasure to shoot and extremely accurate.
1911KY, you passed this along to me some time ago... and after you helped me earlier with some lower-than-minimum Titegroup loadings with a 200 gr. coated RNFP that yielded around 750 fps velocity.

I will indeed take your WST advice, but I have almost two pounds of TG on hand... and with my consumption, it'll take a while. On the lookout for WST though...

:rock:

·
Registered
379 Posts
All the 45 bullseye records are with the classic 200 gr H&G lead semi wadcutter bullet. I use titegroup in my 9mm lead loads. I have been loading 45 target loads with 4.8 gr of 231 since 1988. I have a guy in Miami that loves them at 4.6 gr. I am going to load some of your 45 loads this week and try them!

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Titegroup powder.....

Although I like and use Titegroup powder, for the .45acp cartridge using a 200 gr H&G #68 style bullet, I still use Alliant Bullseye powder. For lighter loads, I get excellent accuracy with 4.2 gr. of Bullseye.

I use Titegroup for light 9mm loads. My favorite for IDPA is 4.1 gr. of Titegroup with a 124 gr. JHP from Precision Delta. For this light load to function properly, I use a 19# mainspring and a 10# recoil spring..... It is an excellent and extremely reliable load in my gun. :rock:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts