1911Forum banner

titegroup?????

2956 Views 17 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  kgpcr
Hey guys wanted to ask you a question. I currently use VV310 with a 200gr lead swc. I load it with 4.5 grains of powder. I am thinking of using Titegroup. The load I am currently using is getting about 160,000 for IDPA power factor. How many grains have you all been using for regular target loads?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
I use titegroup with 230gr lead RN bullets and 230gr FMJ ball in 45 ACP. I use 4.4 gr of Titegroup for the lead bullets and 4.7 gr for the FMJ bullets. Both loads give me almost exactly 790 fps out of my 1911s.

For a 200 gr bullet I imagine you'd want to use a similar load, perhaps a bit lighter.

One caveat you may want to think about though. 4.4 gr of Titegroup barely fills up 1/4th of a case so you have to think about some things. 1) Is there too much "air space" in the loaded cartridge for safety? (personally I think there is but I'm risking my gun and myself - not anyone else) and 2) Depending on your reloading setup it can be very difficult, if not impossible, to visually check your reload to see if you've put powder in, or perhaps double charged a round.

Be safe - it's a load I'm comfortable with, YMMV

· Super Moderator
15,230 Posts
matthewPFS,

My shooting buddies and I have settled on 4.5gr TG with a 200gr LSWC. This gives an avg. velocity of about 825fps from a 5" barrel. Titegroup is very accurate for us from about 4.2gr to 4.8gr with a 200gr LSWC.

Good shooting.....Rod.

· Registered
25 Posts
MatthewPFS,

I use a 200 gr LRN Precision bullet with 5.0 gr of Titegroup. When I chrono'd the loads they register around 840 fps. This will allow you to shoot major. I find Titegroup to have recoil that could best be described as "snappy” but it's not bad. I tried Clays as an alternative and like that powder, too. It is very clean and has a "softer" feel compared to Titegroup.

· Registered
215 Posts
T G

I have switched from W231 to TG and got very good groups. I use the Max load of 4.8 with a match 230GR FMJ bullet. It also improved the accuracy in my Colt Officers model. Meters well from the powder measure. I definatly will stlick with this powder for my 45ACP reloads.

· Premium Member
5,963 Posts
matthewPFS said:
How many grains have you all been using for regular target loads?
Experiment. I find 4.5 to 4.7 to be good, depending on the bullet. You will find Titegroup very economical but just a mite "harsh". I like it because it feels much hotter than it really is (velocity). Shooting 200SWC with TiteGroup feels like WWB.

· Registered
555 Posts
I`m loading 4.8gr of Titegroup under a 200 gr LSWC, very nice in my 5" Kimber.

· Registered
123 Posts
To get a feel of how defense ammo would feel without the cost of buying it I use 5.2 gr of Titegroup behind 230 FMJ. For target/plinking loads I aim for 4.5 to 4.8 gr. Excellent accuracy but you will notice a more snappy recoil as others have said.

· Registered
2,019 Posts
If you haven't bought Titegroup yet, I'd suggest Clays as a better powder for the .45 auto.

Softer recoil and less smoke with cast bullet loads.

Titegroup is my pick for jacketed/plated loads for the .40 - Still haven't found anything that really reduces cast bullet smoke for me yet, but I don't think I'm going to be shooting too many cast bullets in this caliber anyway.

· Registered
420 Posts
Stay with what you have....

I have burned up `16lbs of Titegroup, and will be buying VV320 to replace it. I like the 320 in Major .40 better, and it will work in 9x19 as well. It does cost more, but Titegroup burns hotter, and when I am practicing plate racks and steel arrays in the summer that equates to more wear on the barrel. I am willing to use up some of my extra pocket money to buy the VV320 and VV310.
I totally agree on switching to CLAYS for your .45 load, but I have to tell you that you wont do any better than the 310 you are using. Good luck, DC

· Registered
112 Posts
Snappy Recoil

I'm glad someone else thought that about it feeling that way. What was your velocity with 4.2 grs? I haven't loaded any yet for my wad gun, just another gun and thought my powder measure was not working right.

· Registered
949 Posts
mac21 said:
I'm glad someone else thought that about it feeling that way. What was your velocity with 4.2 grs? I haven't loaded any yet for my wad gun, just another gun and thought my powder measure was not working right.
It hovers right around 775-780fps through both Nowlin and Kart barrels. It does group well, but I prefer the “shove” recoil of Clays (especially for the short line)…..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.