1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....for those of you keeping up with the "To Rail or Not to RL" thread....you know that I ordered the TLE RL and have been patiently awaiting its arrival. Well...ok...not patiently.

IT IS HERE!

And, yes...it is all I expected it to be. I actually am pleased to report that it is quite a bit smaller than my everyday carry Glock 35. Not only thinner, but shorter in all respects. I also don't really notice any extra weight on my belt, even though the TLE RL weighs in at 39.5 ounces empty. I think that the extra 8 rounds the Glock holds of .40 makes up for any weight differences. One day I will have to weigh them both loaded to see how they compare.

This is my first 1911, so I can't compare much. There are obviously many differences between it and the Glock. Fit and finish seem to be good. No rattles, everything seems tight.

Since I am in Law Enforcement, I must qualify with a weapon before I am permitted to carry it (off or on duty). As it happens, one of the firearms instructors was happy to take me out to the range today. I expected to spend the weekend breaking in the Kimber, then try and get qualified next week...but what the hell...sooner is better.

First thing I did was put my mag base pads on all of the magazines (Metalform) but one. The one without the pad is the one I will carry in the gun. I figured I will keep the factory Kimber mag as the backup.

Man am I glad I put the base pads on. Seating a full mag with the chamber loaded is a bi-atch without that extra bit to slam with. I don't mind it for the initial loading of the weapon, but for reloads the pad is awesome.

First thing I did before shooting the 25 round qual was shoot 8 rounds at the head at 25 yds to see where I was hitting. New gun+ammo....I needed to know before I started.

All eight rounds went in the head. Centered...maybe a touch low. This is with Black Hills 230 GR FMJ at 25 yds.

I was ready to go.

I ran through the qual with ease. Never forgot to take off the safety...never missed a reload. This sounds stupid...but after shooting nothing but Glocks for 10 years...the sudden addition of a manual safety could be a concern. I also felt like I was reloading ALL THE TIME. I was! I am used to one reload in a 25 round course...not three!

Anyway...100% No jams, ftf, or ftes. That is more than I can say for the Glock 35. The first time I shot it was at a qualification as well, and it failed to feed once. Never did it again, tho.

Then I tried the 185 Speer Gold Dots, since that is my issued duty ammo. Not a problem. Next I shot with the factory mag...still no problems. Not a single hiccup this go around.

I understand this is not an exhaustive test...but still shows alot to me.

I will try and run the gun through 300 or so more rounds tomorrow...so I will report back.

In the meantime....I wanted to thank everyone for the information sharing on this forum. Much of it help me make the decision to purchase this fine firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
My TLE/RL has been flawless as well. Its really won me over. Now if I can just get my TLE slide back from Kimber and get some range time with it....;) Here area c couple pics from a recent class. Got it good and dirty, inluding the mags afer them falling in mud and dirt from reloads, and it never once hiccupped. Once you get about 300-400 rounds through it, it should really get nice and smooth. You'll love it, I promise. :D







 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup Hawkeye1...that's waht mine looks like! ;)

Now I don't need to post any pics!

Actually...I am planning on taking some pics of the TLE with the Glock for comparison...since that is something I wanted to see before I bought mine, but nobody had. Might just do that tonight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay....Kimber TLE RL vs. Glock 35





Kind hard to tell, but in this next one, the Glock is in back:



That should give you an idea of the size relationship. So, after carrying the Glock 35 concealed on a daily basis...a full sized 1911 is really not a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
TLE/RLE

Hey Ch-PO, thanks for posting the pics of your new TLE/RL. I am waiting eagerly to open mine up for Christmas. Just wondering if you tried your RL in the holsters you ordered from blade-tech. Also, when you ordered from blade-tech, did you just order the hoster for the standard lenght 1911 because I didn't see an option for the RL on one of the holsters you ordered. Thanks again for the range report.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes....I have already carried in both holsters from Blade-Tech. So far I really like the OWB...and I am getting used to the IWB. I carried the Glock in a Comp-Tac C-TAC and it is an adjustment to go to a standard IWB holster. It is not a bad holster though...I just have to get used to it.

To get the holsters for the TLE RL, I had to call them and ask for them. They (she) knew exactly what gun I was talking about, and there was no problems putting the order together. It wasn't a stocked holster, so they had to make them and then send them.

Blade-Tech was very fast, and I got the holster before I even got the gun, which was in stock. I will be ordering a third holster from them very soon, and that will be a duty holster for the gun AND light.

Merry Christmas! You'll love your TLE/RL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
A new read sight?

Lazarus,

Did you change out your rear sight? From the picture, it looks like a Wilson or Novak. Looks like you added a mag funnel too.

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
Holsters and lights

ch-po,
Could you post some pics of your holsters? You failed to mention what light you are using or going to use with yours. I have one too and I'm currently using an ITI M3 but I'm anxiously waiting on the new SureFire x-200. Glad everything worked out for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Holsters and lights

The Pistol Pete said:
ch-po,
Could you post some pics of your holsters? You failed to mention what light you are using or going to use with yours. I have one too and I'm currently using an ITI M3 but I'm anxiously waiting on the new SureFire x-200. Glad everything worked out for you!
I can post pics of the holsters later tonight. As far as the light, I use an M3. I have a rail mount for my AR-15...so the same light can be used on any of my weapons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
Re: A new read sight?

Brooklyn South said:
Lazarus,

Did you change out your rear sight? From the picture, it looks like a Wilson or Novak. Looks like you added a mag funnel too.

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)
Brooklyn,

On my TLE/RL above, I have...

-Installed/blended SA arched stainless magwell (then matte black gunkote'd)
-Dehorned the entire gun
-50lpi checkered the rear of the slide
-Installed Wilson front/rear
-3.5# trigger job
-Flex-honed the internal spring way of the MSH
-Honed the chamber
-Satin GunKote'd all internals with the hi-teflon mix to smooth all internal parts up after honing each part
-Hi-teflon GunKote on all springs
-Lapped rails, barrel lugs, bushing fit
-Stoned all internal surfaces & trigger bow raceway
-Ahrends Ebony Gaboon Dbl Diamond grips
- Entire gun blasted with Aluminum Oxide, Parkerized, then Matte GunKote'd

Items of note after first 500 rounds and before any work performed:
-1 in 20 rounds failed to eject (Kimber/Dennis said to keep shooting it), replaced ejector with extended Wilson and problem solved.
-$700 Brownells sight adjustment tool warped/bent trying to remove rear sight... front and rear sights had to be cut out & destroyed to remove, nothing else could remove these "windage drift adjustable" rear sights...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Lazarus,

What is the price and part # on the Wilson extended ejector for the external type on the TLE RL2?

Thnaks,
ASO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
ASO544 said:
Lazarus,

What is the price and part # on the Wilson extended ejector for the external type on the TLE RL2?

Thnaks,
ASO
I think you might be getting the ejector and extractor confused. All ejectors are internal. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: A new read sight?

Lazarus said:
Brooklyn,

On my TLE/RL above, I have...

-Installed/blended SA arched stainless magwell (then matte black gunkote'd)
-Dehorned the entire gun
-50lpi checkered the rear of the slide
-Installed Wilson front/rear
-3.5# trigger job
-Flex-honed the internal spring way of the MSH
-Honed the chamber
-Satin GunKote'd all internals with the hi-teflon mix to smooth all internal parts up after honing each part
-Hi-teflon GunKote on all springs
-Lapped rails, barrel lugs, bushing fit
-Stoned all internal surfaces & trigger bow raceway
-Ahrends Ebony Gaboon Dbl Diamond grips
- Entire gun blasted with Aluminum Oxide, Parkerized, then Matte GunKote'd

Items of note after first 500 rounds and before any work performed:
-1 in 20 rounds failed to eject (Kimber/Dennis said to keep shooting it), replaced ejector with extended Wilson and problem solved.
-$700 Brownells sight adjustment tool warped/bent trying to remove rear sight... front and rear sights had to be cut out & destroyed to remove, nothing else could remove these "windage drift adjustable" rear sights...
So....you're saying you left it pretty much stock.... :biglaugh:

WOW! I might look into the extended ejector. Probably couldn't hurt to have something like that. Other than that, mine will probably stay stock. Although I only have about 350 rounds through it...so give me a another week to finish breaking it in. Right now, though, I can say I trust my life to it. I have no problems carrying it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
Yeah, I just posted my range report on my TLE in the Range Reports Section. Works like a champ, but doesn't seem to like Tripp mags at all.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top