1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I will admit that I tend to be a little anal about spending too much to have the right gunsmithing tools on hand - yes, Brownell's is my best friend...

Anyway, I have been having some feeding problems with a new TLE/RL - have about 500 rounds through it - I purchased a 1911 recoil spring tester and measured the recoil spring strength on the factory spring... after repeated testing it kept coming back reading 12.5#. As a measure I also tested several brand new Wilson & Wolff springs, they all tested right on the button for their rating... yet the original Kimber spring was only 12.5#.f

I replaced the spring with a Wilson 18# and shot another 300 rounds without a hitch... I just find it surprising that the factory spring was so light - if my references are right, the standard full size recoil spring is 16#... anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's pretty interesting...I don't think Kimber puts any thing less than a 14 pound spring in anything, and that is for .38 super. I was wondering if they just didn't put the wrong weight spring in when yours was built. Although 12 lbs is still low even if was a 14 punder. I don't konw what the variance might be, but it could be +- 2 pounds.

Or it just could have been a bad spring, that snuck through. I would call Dennis and see if he will send you a 16 pounder.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I understand they put a 12# in their 9mm 1911... I'm guessing that either they accidentally put in the wrong spring or the spring itself lost strength.

I'm not knocking Kimber (believe they use Wolff springs), this is the kind of thing that just happens, no big deal... actually I had been kicking myself when I bought the recoil spring tester because I probably got it becuase it was a gadget I didn't have - however, it really turned out to be more helpful than I imagined... it also helps with that box of lose springs I have under the workbench that I had no idea what their ratings were....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts