1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my dilemma.

After working with the bosses at work they have allowed us to carry 1911. Needless to say many of us are excited to get rid of the glocks.

I have researched the threads and narrowed it down to a TLE II RL vs a Gold Combat II RL. But I am having trouble making a final decision.

1. Is there a difference in accuracy?

2. How well does the Kim Pro Finish on the Gold Combat hold up?

3. I know the Gold Combat has a 3-4 lbs. trigger. I will need to increase it to 4.5 lbs. How difficult will this be?

4. Are both Frames Stainless?

5. My current thinking is get the TLE and add a Mag Well which doesn’t need to be fitted (I Hope).

Thoughts, suggestions, and advice appreciated

JD

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the TLE, it's got everything you need and nothing you don't...at a decent price. Just get wilson 7rnd mags.

Good luck,

SkunkApe

·
Registered
841 Posts
My range gun is a TLE II and so far its working fine. I still have a few extracting problems but I haven't had the time to really "look into it" yet - as its strickly a range gun for me.

one of my shooting friend just bought a Gold Combat RL II and its a very sweet shooter. He said he has had no problems with his. The only thing he is upset about is the finish is wearing off fast. When he bought it the finish had already wear marks towards the muzzle. He does a lot of holster presentations and he said that the finish is not holding up. Other than that he loves the gun and loves the checkering underneath the trig guard. He says it helps him in IDPA matches.

About INCREASING trig pull - this is not a good idea. But if you must take it to a smith that knows what he's doing!!!! I'm use to a 3#-3.5# trig pull so...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ol1911 I disagree that increasing trigger pull is a bad idea.

For range or comp. I would have no problem. 4.5 is good for LE

·
Registered
203 Posts
I think the TLE would be ideal duty gun. I love mine, but did have the magazine catch break within the first 500 rounds - - other than the mag catch, functioning has been 100%. If you go with the TLE RL you may have trouble locating suitable leather gear, especially if your Department mandates which holster you can carry. Concealment holsters for off-duty are also readily available for the TLE; I think you'd have to go the custom route if you plan on carrying the TLE RL off-duty. Have you considered the Kimber Tactical? It has an aluminum frame and lightens the load for both on and off-duty. I wouldn't bother with the mag well (the Tactical has one standard FYI); the Kimber has a nice bevel on it. I replaced my plastic one with an Ed Brown checkered steel MSH, although the plastic one worked fine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only info I have on the differences between the guns is the Gold Combat "should" be more accurate but its fully possible to have a specific TLE that will outshoot a specific Gold Combat. The GC has their Match barrel (I have no clue how this differs from the normal barrel) and they select frames, slides, barrels for the best fit, so the GC on average will be fitted better than a TLE but its possible to have a TLE that is as accurate and fit every bit as well as the GC. And you have to remember that how well the parts are selected for the GC vary by the employees mood that day :) But every one I've seen has been excellent.

Increasing the trigger pull is no problem, it can be accomplised by either bending the leaf of the spring that touches the sear, or bending the leaf that touches the trigger and disconnector. Or do a little of both. I don't think you need a gunsmith to increase spring tension for you :biglaugh: You can get gauges to measure how much tension you're adding to the spring, but I just go a little at a time and check the results. It's a pain to put the gun back together all the time, but I'm too cheap to buy a tool :D

·
Registered
841 Posts
jd2177 said:
ol1911 I disagree that increasing trigger pull is a bad idea.

For range or comp. I would have no problem. 4.5 is good for LE
Well I'm saying I do not think its a good idea for a smith to try to INCREASE the pull by doing custom work on the trigger system. I've seen a lot of botched jobs when trying to INCREASE lbs.

It is a good idea for LEO's to have a trig pull of 4.5# on their 1911's since they will be holding suspects at gunpoint and you don't want them to have a startle response and have a ND killing a suspect or bystander. The LEO's in my city that carry 1911's don't even know what trig pull is and they carry 1911's on duty. Scares me but hey, its their life.

For someone that carries concealed - I see no prob with having a 3# trig. As long as they practice saftey and practice the manual of arms...

·
Registered
841 Posts
call me wacky but i just don' t like messing with things after they are out of the factory. Two guys I know who tried to have their trigger pull increased ran into a lot of probs with their 1911's. Granted maybe the smith made a mistake but... I don't know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts