1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unlawful to carry (with GA out of state permit) in a liquor store or grocery store, like a Kroger. I noticed a large yellow sign in one of my favorite liquor stores that said it was. It even displayed the code.

Been carrying in & out of that store as well as a great many others for years.

I can find little information concerning the TN laws.

Any information would be helpful.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
Would'nt surprise me. It's illegal to carry in a restraunt that serves alcohol.
completely different reason. and the law states that the establishment must procure 51% of its sales from alcohol - that's serving alcohol, not selling it retail.

For example, grocery stores sell beer and wine here in Ohio, and I can carry in said grocery stores, buy a case a beer, and walk out legally. Not so for going into my favorite restaurant that has a bar and serves me alcohol.

Also remember...ANY establishment can choose to be a gun free zone. Only those that serve alcohol are required (among other places like post offices and state run agencies like the DMV, courthouses, etc). Your favorite mom and pop liquor store, card shop, book store, coffee shop, etc can all hang the sign and by law, you are require to listen, or you can take your biz elsewhere. There are Krogers in Ohio that posted the no gun signs....have been held up, and the signs disappeared...its a risk the owners take for making their stores a gun free zone or aka, a come and rob us zone.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
...ANY establishment can choose to be a gun free zone. Only those that serve alcohol are required (among other places like post offices and state run agencies like the DMV, courthouses, etc). Your favorite mom and pop liquor store, card shop, book store, coffee shop, etc can all hang the sign and by law, you are require to listen, or you can take your biz elsewhere.
Exactly - TN is my home state (in PA due to career), but I travel back several times a year. Many businesses and workplaces post as gun-free there.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The signs I speak of are approx 3' x 2' (bright yellow with black lettering) & look very offical. They even post the code (can't remember what they were). But it said sold or consumed.

I realize you can't carry in bars, ect where booze is openly sold. This would not be the case for a Kroger like store.

Can't find any thing regarding TN laws.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
"(a) It is an offense for a person to possess a firearm within the confines of a building open to the public where liquor, wine or other alcoholic beverages, as defined in § 57-3-101(a)(1)(A), or beer, as defined in § 57-6-102(1), are served for on premises consumption."

I'll try to post a couple more links re: TN laws

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
What about the bums drinking their 40's on the premises...does that make it illegal for you to carry? :(

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
BTW there's a TN senate bill on the floor now (SB 23) that would allow a legally armed person to be in a bar or restaraunt that serves alcohol as long as the person is not consuming or under the influence of alcohol.

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going back to Atlanta tomorrow (after a long hard week) so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll read up on the do's & don'ts before I make another trip.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Hell, these laws are so different among the various states, I can't keep up with them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What about the bums drinking their 40's on the premises...does that make it illegal for you to carry? :(
Nope. It's illegal to consume alcohol in public areas so that wouldn't affect the handgun law.

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Hell, these laws are so different among the various states, I can't keep up with them.
Yep - I can/could carry in bars in PA, but would never dream of it as I'm sure that fact would come into play in a legal battle. PA is very gun friendly, but a person should use common-sense when alcohol is in the equation.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Here's a link to Michie's legal resources, a website with the statutes of many states.
http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode

What you need to look at is
Tenessee Code
Title 39 -- Criminal Offenses
Chapter 17 -- Offenses against Public Health, Safety, and Welfare
Part 13 -- Weapons.

Good luck with your search . . . off the top I did not find anything prohibiting firearms where liquor is sold, but I did see the prohibition where liquor is consumed.

Hank

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
To the OP, each state usually has their own laws. Most model their laws after either Texas or Florida.

In Texas many places post no gun signs which don't mean anything to a CHL holder....unless the sign complies with state law (30.06) and I've never seen one. Most are there to deter illegal carry cause you know, someon carrying illegally will read the sign and comply with the rules there. :D

The one place you'll see them most, is in a place where >51% of their sales are from alcohol sales and those "51" signs are obvious.

Need to check with GA laws. Even in Texas many don't make sense but hey, politicians draft this stuff and half the tine have no idea what's already there. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm going back to Atlanta tomorrow (after a long hard week) so I'm not going to worry about it. I'll read up on the do's & don'ts before I make another trip.

Thanks for all the help guys.

As long as liquor is not sold on the premises for consumption you're fine. Now they can say you're not allowed to carry in the store, and if you get caught, it's a misdemeanor (trespassing or something).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts