1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:scratch:I have a new X-TAC, which as you all know comes with some bulletproof parts. The question is whether to invest in "bulletproofing" the rest of the pistol. I did a search, and found mixed opinions interspersed in posts not directly on subject. So, please let me hear from long time WC owners. If any of you recommend specific parts, please let me know.

Thanks all.

Jim

·
Banned
150 Posts
See a need for it, do it. Don't see a need for it, don't do it.

Cosmetically, like it, do it. Don't like it, don't do it.

Sorry, it really comes down to that.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See a need for it, do it. Don't see a need for it, don't do it.

Cosmetically, like it, do it. Don't like it, don't do it.

Sorry, it really comes down to that.
It does, but I should have been more specific. This pistol will be my EDC, so I'm wanting to know if bulletproof parts are supposed to be more reliable.

Thanks for the input.

J

·
Registered
546 Posts
If it was made feb 2013 or after it should have 100% bulletproof parts

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check on the date when I get it back from the holster maker. May I ask how you came to have that knowledge?

J

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
WC started putting all bulletproof parts in all it's guns.. probably February 2013 like chris said.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check her "birthdate."

·
Registered
546 Posts
There's a thread on here somewhere I just remember the name.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Harley/kimber, did I understand correctly that you sent your pistol to your holster maker? If so, could you give us the backstory on that? Thanks, Lamar

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
If a part ever broke on any of my pistols (and none ever has), I'd replace it with a bullet proof part.

But to just go off and start spending money to replace parts.....????? :rofl:

Not.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Holster

Harley/kimber, did I understand correctly that you sent your pistol to your holster maker? If so, could you give us the backstory on that? Thanks, Lamar
This guy is a fanatic with holsters. He wanted to make me a prototype shoulder rig. He asked for the gun to mold the leather for perfect fit. Of course he is taking steps to protect gun. Once I get the holster I will post pics.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I would definitely NOT go to swapping Wilson parts for no good reason...
Wisdom.

Understand the underriding point in play here, of course, but even assuming the gun were not fully-BP at this point, you've already got top-grade components fitted to the gun, performing to standard and unlikely to ever present you with any difficulties whatsoever, so we're effectively talking about incurring needless time and expense to accomplish something that will neither be noticed nor even overtly-appreciated in the future. That doesn't make it foolish, either, but it is just one of those things that I wouldn't even give a second thought.

I've got a 2005-vintage SDS that sees regular carry, and have absolutely no idea what is inside of the gun parts-wise. I do know that it is set up well and doesn't need me to go messing around with it trying to make a good thing better. ;)

AC

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wisdom.

Understand the underriding point in play here, of course, but even assuming the gun were not fully-BP at this point, you've already got top-grade components fitted to the gun, performing to standard and unlikely to ever present you with any difficulties whatsoever, so we're effectively talking about incurring needless time and expense to accomplish something that will neither be noticed nor even overtly-appreciated in the future. That doesn't make it foolish, either, but it is just one of those things that I wouldn't even give a second thought.

I've got a 2005-vintage SDS that sees regular carry, and have absolutely no idea what is inside of the gun parts-wise. I do know that it is set up well and doesn't need me to go messing around with it trying to make a good thing better. ;)

AC
As usual I can rely on you guys for words of wisdom. Muchos gracias amigos.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Well Harley/kimber, you've got me curious now. Prototype shoulder holster, hmmm.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He took all my measurements. Both sides will have wide, comfortable straps. They will be connected in the back with narrow, custom fitted strap. Vertical holster. Double mag pouch opposite. Custom belt straps. Configured to accept different holster later on, for different pistol. Totally custom made. He ran training range for La. State Police.

I will post pics. Should be done in about a week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts