1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello-
I've been reloading for about a year now and am fairly comfortable with things. Up until now I've been gauging my powder charge, by trying to match the felt recoil of my reloads with factory ammo. Although it's worked fine in the past, I'd like to replicate factory loads with more precision. It seems to me to do this I'd need a chronograph which I don't yet own. Here are some questions.
1. Is a chronograph a -must own- item for reloaders?
2. What is the most popular/best buy unit available?
3. Can a chronograph work indoors with very little distance between the firearms and the unit? Currently, I only have access to an indoor range and would literally have to set it up inside the shooting stall. Is this possible or is there a recommended/required distance necessary between the two?
Thanks everyone for the input.
P.S. - Ecstatic about the reopening of the reloading forum.:rock:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim- I'm an idiot!...and very embarrased. Yes, I mean chronograph.
Thanks for all the good info guys. It looks like I might be stuck for now, because there's no way....NO WAY my local range would let me anywhere beyond the firing line. I wish they would, it would save me the fee of an outdoor range/shooting club I'm thinking about joining. Until then, I think I'm going to have to be content without. In the meantime, I will take a look around and see what's out there. Thanks again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do want to take things to the next step with my reloading and it seems like the chronograph is it. I guess that's the excuse I needed to join the outdoor sportsman's club. The only sour points are that it's 22 miles from my house when my indoor range is down the street and charges $275/year plus 10 hours work for membership. On top of that, you need to know someone in the club and there's a waiting list. Ouch!:mummy:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steven-
Good advice.
I know trying to match my reloads to factory rounds is imprecise at best, which is why I wanted to look into the chronograph.
What I was getting at in regards to the local range not being very flexible with their range usage stems more from legal liability. Everyone here seems to be pretty wound up about safety and rules, which is great, but sometimes they prevent good thinking people from using their god given common sense. That being said, you've inspired me to give it a shot. I can't say I'm expecting much, but I'll email the owner tomorrow.
As far as CED, is that a brand or type of chrono?
I appreciate your "long windedness." :biglaugh: Great info. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.