1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question. I have a YoBo 1* with a Dawson Rail already and want another railed 1911. My Valor is screaming to have a Dawson Rail installed and i'd like ya'lls opinion. BTW, for those fans out there, where's the best place to have it done? Pics are always welcome.

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
My suggestion would be to buy a 1911 with a dedicated rail already manufactured into the frame… I love Yost 1911’s and I have no doubt that their Dawson rail installation is top notch – but in my experience the dust cover on the 1911 isn’t thick enough to support the long-term additional stress of a rail & attachment.

I know a lot have used the Dawson rails and I have used different versions of their add-on rails in the past, but I decided for mine the wisest approach was to buy a 1911 already configured for the rail and beefed up accordingly.

You definitely have great tastes in 1911’s though…

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts

I like a Dawson rail much more than a standard rail gun.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts

\
\

Here are some closer shots without the light.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Non-railed gun owner here.....

What's the difference between a Dawson rail and a standard rail? Been thinking about having one of my CCW guns drilled & tapped for a rail. Thanks. Tracy

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dawson rail is a slimmer rail that can only be used for Surefire X200B or X300. The Surefire has to be converted to be used. The Dawson rail, imho, is the best way to add a rail.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Thanks. Tracy

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I wouldn't do it...

..especially to a Valor.

I no longer have any railed 1911s. If you don't really need a rail, unless you are definitely going to use it for something practical and essential then I'd leave it off. It seems like the going thing now is to put a rail on EVERYTHING. EAA even put a rail on the newer Elite Match SAO guns and it looks terrible, but I digress.

Personally I like the Dawson rail less than I like an integral rail and I don't like those very much at all, but then that's just me. I suppose if the Dawson rail were integral being that is seems smaller and less obtrusive than a standard rail, I might think differently about it. However, there is just something about drilling into a classic shape like the Valor that just makes me want to cringe like nails on a chalk board.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dawson Rail

I've got a Dawson rail on one of my TRS and while I really don't use a rail much, its excellent. I bought the pistol with it previouly install by Baer and then BaerCoated. It's great for a light and when not on the pistol it still works with all my holsters. What is best that I can carry it my waistband without any discomfort in a instant if needed. Again it was installed prior to my purchase so I didn't have to make the decision to modify my other TRS, but I am very satisfied and it looks good. I also have a Valor and a Dawson Spec Ops :rock:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got a Dawson rail on one of my TRS and while I really don't use a rail much, its excellent. I bought the pistol with it previouly install by Baer and then BaerCoated. It's great for a light and when not on the pistol it still works with all my holsters. What is best that I can carry it my waistband without any discomfort in a instant if needed. Again it was installed prior to my purchase so I didn't have to make the decision to modify my other TRS, but I am very satisfied and it looks good. I also have a Valor and a Dawson Spec Ops :rock:
Post pics please!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
It's a function over style thing. If you need it get it. Don't worry about ruining the classic lines.
Mine is my duty gun so I don't think a felon is going to say "Oh, my goodness!! You my fine Sir have ruined the fine classic lines of a 1911 with the installation of that Dawson rail!":biglaugh:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts