1911Forum banner

To Kimber or not to Kimber, the question ?

991 3
Hello all, Im fairly new to the site and have spent hours reviewing new and old posts. I have a SA Loaded now and Im hooked on these guns. The big question I have is that I have found a new in box blue Gold Match (not a Kimber II) for $1100.00, I knbow that it is the near the MSRP but remember that here in CA these guns can only be perchased by private party only, that means that the only chance we have here to own a pre 2001 gun is buying it used. If I had the chance I problably would try to get a RRA 1911, but thaqt is only a dream now. The only 1911's that are legal now are modified for CA, anything like a old Colt or ser. 70 style gun is gone for good unless some poor sap is selling one. I cant believe that the Kimber's have as much problems as are posted, is it that only the problems get posted and everyone with a good one just dosnt post it ? For a gun built on a high end frame it should be a very nice shooting gun, or at least I hope ! This may be the last chance I get to buy a pre Kimber II, should I get it ?
thanks, Bob
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
There are an awful lot of happy Kimber owners out there. Myself being one, I am a very happy owner of a Gold Combat Stainless.
These forums can be deceiving, complaints get magnified here for two big reasons. First of all, you are a lot more likely to visit one of these forums if you have a problem than you are if you have a gun that works right. Second, even if you assume that everyone who bought a kimber visits this site, everyone is a lot more vocal about problems then they are about being satisfied.

Of course there will be the occaisional problem, that is an unfortunate fact of life. To get a remotely affordable gun you have to mass produce them, along with mass production comes the possibility for mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, it sucks when your gun doesn't work, it sucks very badly. But for the most part, Kimber makes an excellent pistol and the odds are very much in your favor that yours will work just great.

· Registered
26 Posts
I have 3 Kimbers (a Custom Target, Stainless Classic and Compact). I love all three. Other than the common loose rear sight blade on the Kimber adjustable sight (replaced with a Kimber-cut Bomar), all 3 have been great. Very nicely made, smooth feel and pretty good triggers. I had to clean up a little creep on 2 of them, but nothing serious. I still believe they represent the best value in a "dressed up" production 1911.

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I have both a ser II and ser I and I don't see any real reason to prefer the non Ser II gun, as the FP block actuates off of the grip safety. It would be very easy to take out anyway.

My vote on Kimbers is to stick with the base models and get whatever work you want done on them. But that's just my opinion.

As far as wanting an RRA, there was a blue over stainless Limited Match in CA for sale over at Pistolsmith I think. May still be there. $1950.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.