1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently purchased a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II (3") and have been careful to try and find a holster that will best preserve the matte black oxide finish on the slide.

I've read around and it seems that just about any holster I go with will wear away at the finish (some more, and quicker, than others). But I would still like to minimize the wear as much as possible, so I wonder: which holster (lined or unlined) will best preserve the finish on my Eclipse?

IWB, OWB and Shoulder rig recommendations and reviews are welcome. Cost and/or turnaround time aren't a concern, as long as it's careful on the finish.

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
If you are really that concerned I would send the pistol out for hardchroming.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I don't think any lining will protect the Kimber black oxide finish. Almost every one I've seen in cases already show wear from customers handling them. The Eclipse may not be as bad since I think the main thing that will wear is the top of the frame and I think that will me minimal compared to the sides that are brushed.

Let it wear for the character, or as BillD said, get it hard chromed.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Beauty is as beauty does, this also applies to firearms. If that firearm serves its purpose and you enjoy shooting and carrying it, don't worry about rubbing a little finish off. Gives the gun charactor. Ren

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
The terms "carry gun" and "pretty gun" are mutually exclusive. Wear is inevitable and your holster concerns should be directed toward finding a holster that suits your needs, not keeps a finish on a gun.

I've got a 1911 that looks like it has mange and half the blue "fell off". Shoots and carries good. No plans to refinish, it'll just wear again.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of character wear, but I would like that character to develop over a longer period of time. :)

I know that, as Tony said, lining your holster only delays the inevitable, but that's precisely what I want to do: delay.

So that said, any specific recommendations for CC holsters that seem to preserve the finish better (even if slightly)?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts