1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Kimber last month and the more I look at it, it just doesn't have the "eye appeal" I'm looking for in a handgun. I have the Compact Custom, matt blue finish. I'm thinking about having it blued in a high polish deep blue finish and installing ajax ivory grips. If I go this route, what parts of the frame and slide should remain a matte finish, other than the top of the slide for glair? Your opinions on de-horning the slide? It's going to be a glove box gun in a holster or maybe my jacket pocket and the ocassional holster carry.

G

·
imho! instead of bluing it I would consider a polymer finish and keeping the stock grips.
Very utilitarian and rugged. Maybe Black T and ebony grips?
Very handsome combination! But then again that is my taste...

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

·
Registered
142 Posts
That Kimber finish is not really blue but a baked on coating. Your frame is most likely stainless and won't blue. Find out before you send it off. Don't want you to run into the problem I did.

[This message has been edited by Denbo (edited 10-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Denbo (edited 10-11-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Denbo: Stainless frame? Hey, this opens up for more possabilities! How can I test the metal to find out? Other than letting is sit out in the rain. How about the slide? Was it too stainless??

·
Registered
248 Posts
ScottsGT
Modify your Kimber after you have had it a while so you know what you want to change. As for checking the frame to ascertain if it is stainless just put some cold blue on a q-tip and touch it to an area on your frame that has had the finish worn off. If it does not change color it is stainless.

Hope this helps.
Long live the 1911

·
2,975 Posts
Originally posted by ScottsGT:
Denbo: Stainless frame? Hey, this opens up for more possabilities! How can I test the metal to find out? Other than letting is sit out in the rain. How about the slide? Was it too stainless??
Find an area of exposed metal and put cold blue on it. If it blues, it is carbon, if not, it is stainless. Slide rails usually have some exposed metal and the test area won't be seen if it does stick.

·
Registered
142 Posts
From what Kimber told me, the slides are carbon. They are, as far as I know, the only people who use this half-assed method of saving money.
You could go for a two tone gun if you like that look. Personally, I don't like it. Hard Chrome might look good.
As you might have gathered I am still pissed off.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
ScottsGT

I have some slightly different suggestions for you.

1. Leave the finish alone and do not consider dehorning it. As others have said you may have a stainless slide, and that can cause you other difficulties. since you have said that you want to use this gun as a glove box gun, do not do too much to it since it will get marked up bounceing around as you drive. Kimber already does a nice dehorn job on the Classic so any more is just a waste.

2. Replace the grips with something that has more eye appeal, like a nice set of wood, stag horn, or carbon fiber grips.

3. Replace the sights with something that is better than the sights Kimber uses. I suggest MMC Adjustable sights, or Novak or Heine sights. All of the companies make sights to fit the Kimber slide cuts.

Now if you want to spend more than the $250-$350 the above will cost, and you really want a high gloss blue pistol, go buy a Kimber Royal Classic and do steps 2 and 3 above. If you want to spend more money than $1000 this will run get a Les Baer Primere (with tactical package) or Thunder Ranch Special, or most any Wilson. If you want to spend more still, find a top flight custom gunsmith and see what they recommend.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

[This message has been edited by Str8_Shot (edited 10-12-2001).]

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, Guys. It is all carbon steel. Sorry Denbo. I did the cold blue trick. I guess I'll stick with the original finish and just install some ivory grips. Maybe one day after it gets all scratched up I can try something with a little more eye appeal. And after looking at all the Kimbers with the dehorn job, I cannot bring myself to mess with the classic lines of the 1911.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts