1911Forum banner

What are your thoughts regarding collectible guns?

• Shoot it, enjoy it. Don't worry about future value.

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • I'd still shoot it often, but never abuse or modify it.

Votes: 32 32.3%
  • I'd shoot mine only on certain occasions. Maybe a box or two of ammo a year.

Votes: 29 29.3%
  • Mine probably wouldn't be shot. I'd handle it with great care, but it'd still see the light of day.

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Maximum preservation! My baby would never even get touched by another set of human hands.

Votes: 2 2.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a "fun" poll, just to see what others think of the persistent question of shooting vs. "safe queening" guns. Case in point:

Colt's new M1911 WW1 replica. Some of you have already bought one, while others want one but can't find one yet. Some said they intend to buy to shoot, while others will store theirs away as safe queens. The question is, what would you do with it? Pros and cons:

SHOOT IT!
*Guns were made to be shot, not fondled.
*Why should I not enjoy it now, while I'm still up and kickin'?
*I'd never sell my guns, so I couldn't care less about preserving it for the next guy anyway. My only regrets in life came from selling a gun I shouldn't have.

PRESERVE IT!
*I like my guns to always look new. I don't want to scratch it or wear it out.
*It's sure to increase in value, and be a great hand-me-down to my kids.
*Never say never regarding selling a gun. Unlike spouses, if I get bored with a gun I can always "upgrade" it later, or get rid of it without taking too much of a monetary hit. If it's still in NIB condition it'll be worth more when it comes time to sell it.

I'm just curious how many think one way or the other, or in between. Me, I'll leave mine unfired simply because I have enough others to shoot as it is.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Like you, it depends.....

you need to add another option. I shoot my shooting collectibles and dont my rare ones.

For example my 1919 colt, when ever I can. My two matching serial numbered experimentals have never been shot, and wont be on my watch :D.

My 1889 Colt Navy revolver or 1899 S&W Navy Revolver, never. My 1945 S&W Navy revolver, when ever I can....
Cheers,
Ty

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ty,

I was specifically refering to brand-new guns with collector's potential, like this one. I wouldn't shoot a rare bird either, but the question is whether a person who buys a brand-new Colt replica would store it away with future prosterity in mind, or just say *** and shoot it as much as they wanted.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I swear, it's the not knowing that'd be the worst!

Laying there at night, telling yourself, "Of course it works", but never, ever, really knowing for absolute sure!

{Shudder}

·
Registered
308 Posts
a new WW1 repro? i'd shoot it. i shoot everything. even old, scarce stuff maybe a mag or two a year...but that doesn't mean tie it to the back of the car and drag it! but a new gun? sure!

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
This is my only WW1 handgun:

A S&W M1917 revolver. The most accurate handgun I own at 50 yards. But the issue stocks will make my hand numb after 50 rounds or so.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have put only 50rds through my WWI repo so far. I probably wont shoot it that much but not because of what it is as much I have enough other 1911's to shoot. My brother plans to shoot his alot so I guess we'll find out how the finish will hold up.

I have a blue SAA that I wouldn't shoot for almost 2 years, hell I was half afraid to touch it because I was afraid of scratching it. I finally broke down a shot it. What a dream shooter.:cool:
I wanted to kick myself for not having shot it sooner. It's a blast to shoot. Don't get me wrong I take good care of them, but they will get shot, they're too fun not to.:D

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
All my guns are for shooting. I shoot my M1917s (barrel date 10-18 on both of them). If I had an old 1911 I'd shoot it too, and certainly a Colt repro.

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
Who are you keeping them pristine for, your wife's next husband?

·
Registered
400 Posts
My opinion only... A reproduction is as stated, a reproduction and will never see much increase in value many many years to come. Same with the Series 70 repros, shoot the living snot out of them. On the other side of the coin I have several First Editions and other collectible Colts that are unfired safe queens and will remain that way and have doubled and tripled in value.
A good example is the El Presidente, I paid 750 bucks for new, there is one listed on gunbroker for over 6000 bucks, of course no one has bought it but you can see where I'm going with this. I am also not slandering the WW1, WW2 or Series 70 repros but IMHO they are repros and are not exactly what they were way back when. .02 ;)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
100 years from now... all new people! I say shoot 'em!

That's what they were made for. :D

NAA

·
Administrator
73,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The argument for saying to hell with the wife's future husband or the collector 100 years from now sounds like a good one. However, I think we can also be glad that some folks preserved their 1930's National Match pistols or left their pre-Series 70 Colts unfired. If all we had were beat-up old rust buckets to look forward to at gun shows this hobby would get boring in a hurry.

·
Registered
308 Posts
consider this: the way things are going we may be saving our beautiful collections so the can be shoveled into a smelter by some gov't minion. sad thought but if you've been paying attention to the courts, the 2nd amendment is on sketchy ground. shooting your guns isn't going to hurt them...

·
Registered
378 Posts
The only collectibles I'd have problems shooting are never fired ones that I plan on selling (trade bait, investment, don't like the gun that much). That way not shooting them would maintain their value as well as making them more sellable. But for collectibles that I bought for my own enjoyment and would never part with I have no trouble shooting them. The only exception to that would be extremely rare antiques that have never been fired. They should be preserved. But even 130 year old guns in excellent shape worth thousands of dollars that have been fired previously I don't see a problem with shooting them as long as no additional wear/damage results.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My thoughts - One hundred years from now an unfired Glock 19 could be worth 10 x's an unfired WWI repro. It doesn't make sense not using & enjoying because it's only a reproduction of which 4000 will be made. With the way things are going over @ Kimber it might be a better idea to invest in a Series I 1911 copy than a Colt WWI repro.

I don't know what history has shown us regarding what's collectable or what's not but modern reproductions, whether it's fine art (prints), automobiles, or musical instruments have rarely commanded the respect or value of the original.

But, Mercedes Benz is introducing a $450,000 limited production 204mph grand touring car. The next 2 years of U.S. production allotment (600 cars) have already been pre-ordered requiring a $50,000 deposit to get on the waiting list. An original meant to be driven? Absolutely. Collectable? You better believe it. Unless were attacked by another planet.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If it's a reproduction, I say shoot it.

If it's a 100 year old collectible worth alot of money..... well that's another story, but then again I would never dream of buying a gun not to shoot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts