Registered
169 Posts
yes thats what I find...20-30 boxes of 40...1 box of 45gr 223 and thats it

·
Registered
432 Posts
Tons of .40S&W

Seeing lots of it at wally world, no 45 though :-(
I'm seeing a lot more ammo on the shelves, but still not normal stocking.

.40S&W predominates, probably because that's what most LEOs are shooting now days. Scrounging pistol brass after a USPSA match, it's about 75% .40, with the remainder spilt between 45 and 9mm, with a little .38 'stupid'. My guess is that once the .40S&W channels get filled, the manufacturer's will branch out to fill 9mm and .45acp.

What I don't see any of (and haven't for about a year) is .380auto.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I went by Walmart a few days ago and same thing. No .45 or 9mm but at least 2 dozen boxes of 40 S&W.

Went by the gun shop today and saw several boxes of WWB .380 auto on the shelf. I don't have a 380 but I know just from reading this forum that it's been hard to get.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
.40 S&W is the one caliber that I have not seen a shortage of through this whole sick saga. Even Wal-Mart usually has several boxes every time I go.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
not tons..but usually 2 to 4 boxes (federal $13.97)...nothing in any other caliber.

Local shop used to bounce back n forth between having 40 and 45..whatever they had.. I'd buy a box.. (limit 1 per customer per caliber per day for the past year)

I have 40 cause that was what I started with before falling in love with the 1911...my 40 cal pistols (2 of em) were in such nice shape and so like-new that I just couldn't bring myself to sell them when I moved to 1911s...so I stil have em as an option....occasionally shoot these days..and occassionally shoot 40..keep about 800rds of 40 on hand right now..might be closer to 1,000 given that I have snagged a couple more boxes lately.

if you want some good range fun..grab an old smith 3rd gen 40 cal....something like the old duty 4006 pistols..first one smith actually made specifically for the 40 cal...too heavey for conceal carry..but a tank of a pistol...great for just shootin the crap out of on the range.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I bought my Gold Cup Elite 40 because we are not allowed to carry .45 at work, but I'm picky and still wanted a 1911.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Same here. Stacks of Federal .40 S&W, some 9mm, but sells quick, especially if I'm there and can get it. But, alas, no .45. Sucks big time, cause I like that $13.97/box Federal .45 stuff. Shoots good in my 1911 and has a little more pop and snap than the WWB.

My local emporium is even stocked enough that they are selling PMC .40 by the case again.

Heck, I almost picked up a .40 S&W knock around gun just because of the ammo availability. But, I ended up doing some trading and came home with a S&W 915, 9mm to go along with the Taurus PT-92 I recently picked up just so I could shoot more centerfire ammo for the money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts