1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally finished this, shoots fantastic even without the sights, but I think it needs a different color frame. My photo skills totally suck the finish came out fantastic maybe a tiny bit shiny for my taste so I think I'm going to sand blast the frame and go with a light color. If I do that I think I'm going to flatten and counter sink the slide stop. I was going to checker the mainspring housing myself but decided to just buy one already done..

Here's a pic of the grip safety during fitting, came out perfect...

John P..

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
No offense, but that grip safety NEEDS a bead blast. Looks like a Dremel gone wild! The rest of the gun looks great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No offense, but that grip safety NEEDS a bead blast. Looks like a Dremel gone wild! The rest of the gun looks great.
I hope you are referring to the third photo as that was the initial fitting and I can assure you the top two pics look nothing like that. Here are two more of the beaver tail, do keep in mind my photo skills suck.

The finish is Norrells Moly Resin and it was what I had left in the garage when I got the hair up my rear to coat it.. I will most likely sand blast the frame alone and go with a lighter color and leave everything else as is.

John P..

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Personally I think it looks pretty good. The finish is definitely really high gloss but overall a nice job. Just needs some honest use and holster wear!

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
That's better! Sorry about the confusion! :dope:

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
Unfortunately, it looks like a Krylon paint job or a plastic fake gun. Coatings require at least a semi-matte finish.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
where do you buy norrells,
I have checked midway, brownells and the web in general..
it comes up in forums but no where for sale..

HELP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
where do you buy norrells,
I have checked midway, brownells and the web in general..
it comes up in forums but no where for sale..

HELP

Here you go,http://www.johnnorrellarms.com/

By the way I've done over 20 firearms, mostly AK series of weapons with Moly Resin and it works great and stands up well to wear. Just be sure to follow the instructions and once you've washed it or blasted it make sure you wear gloves so you don't leave any prints etc on the material to be painted. I usually use the flat black but this was done in semi gloss. I know the frame is going to be redone, may go with the whole weapon..

BTW if you go to Brownells and use their video series on "gun painting and finishing" you'll find some helpful info on Moly Resin use.http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/newsletterarchive.aspx?x=v
John P..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
its the grips, the black and green remind me of the Black Watch tartan. a brown or red grip would completely change the look.

·
Registered
15,656 Posts
A pistol can never be too black! Just kidding, it looks very good. Nice job on the Btail. Did you do the frontstrap checkering? I also like the hammer you used. Good work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts