1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my daughter is marrying a young man whom is afraid of guns. I like the kid,but it bothers me that he is the left wing's version of a man.... a non masculine male. Our country is producing so many of these "men" who are afraid to show any masculine traits. You know Men with purses. Don't get me wrong, these men can fight, but they don't want to break a nail.
My question is how do you get a metro-sexual male into shooting guns. What would catch a feminist mans interest? I thought maybe some clay pigeons. Does anyone have a suggestion? Honestly, I am too embarrassed to ask, but I would hate to see the kid become anti gun. This is for the greater cause. He needs to shoot. (God bless America).

·
Registered
358 Posts
How about Trap? I think that to many people, shooting at orange clays might seem more like palying tennis than killing stuff. And, it'll definitely bring out any competitiveness in him.

16 yd singles is pretty easy to pick up on the spot and lots of local clubs open to the public on certain days of the week to attract new members.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Take him camping to a bear infested area. Cook up heaps of bacon. Pour the bacon grease behind his tent. When the bear shows up, give him little warning so that he's cornered and must use his wits to save himself. If he asks for your gun, don't give it to him. Tell him you care enough about him that you wouldn't want him to compromise his values.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't stop laughing

Take him camping to a bear infested area. Cook up heaps of bacon. Pour the bacon grease behind his tent. When the bear shows up, give him little warning so that he's cornered and must use his wits to save himself. If he asks for your gun, don't give it to him. Tell him you care enough about him that you wouldn't want him to compromise his values.
Too funny, but I need help. If you were afraid of guns, could you be talked in to a pistol shoot at an indoor range? Or maybe a sniper shoot at wabbits. lol Honestly, It is my goal to get this kid to shoot. Thanks

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I like the trap idea. What about paying for a basic handgun training class for him? Or both him and the daughter? (I however assume that the girl has already gone through basic at least.)

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts
He's bound to suggest some sort of "male bonding" adventure to get on your good side, if he hasn't done so already. If so then offer to take him shooting, and just bring along some basic .22's like a rifle and pistol.

If OTOH he has no interest in any sort of "day out" with you I would seriously wonder about him. Not trying to sound like Dr. Phil, but any decent young man would try to do something to get on his future father-in-law's good side.

·
Premium Member
20,418 Posts
Take a low recoil rifle, a shotgun, and an easy to use handgun for a sample day. I've never had anyone not have fun. My daughter brought three extremely liberal girlfriends home from college and they all had a ball. Used up all the ammo I brought. I'd suggest finding a spot in the woods or desert to avoid the intimidating Range Nazis.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks

How about Trap? I think that to many people, shooting at orange clays might seem more like palying tennis than killing stuff. And, it'll definitely bring out any competitiveness in him.

16 yd singles is pretty easy to pick up on the spot and lots of local clubs open to the public on certain days of the week to attract new members.
Thanks I will look into a local area. GBA

·
Registered
627 Posts
Has he seen your collection, or ever been brought up in conversation? Bringing it up subtly , or better yet having your wife bring it up subtly, might break into something that you might talk about. I know my brother isn't exactly a manly man, but not feminist either more of an inbetween. He wasn't interested in guns till I had brought it up with my dad a year ago and he thought it would be cool to shoot one, but never wanted to go with friends as they might rag him. Pulling the trigger for the first time can be a small mountain to overcome. Until you fire it a few times you get this preconceived notion that you might accidently hurt yourself or someone else, drop the gun, lose some hearing, gun blow up etc etc etc

Most don't want to spend $600 to purchase a gun that they shoot once and hate it. Or they think it is hard to get a firearm. I know I felt a little out of my comfort zone going to purchase my first gun. I didn't grow up around them so me going in I felt like I was the idiot that everyone knew I was an idiot in firearms. Soon after I found out that most people don't have as much as my little knowledge of guns. It's like everything else in life buy the flashiest most expensive thing and talk the talk.

Who knows he might have an interest in them and you just have to crack open the door to it. Trap shooting is fun though so you might be able to do that. But if he is a regular movie watcher pistols might peak his interest more. Every shootout, every cop movie shows that frame by frame picture of a cop making that perfect shot mostly with a pistol. The new generation watches way too much tv and the pistols might be ingrained into his head that it would be cool to learn to shoot them.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
I'd grab a .22 rifle and take him shooting. I wouldn't start with any gun that's loud or has much recoil. Start small, and teach him about the importance of gun safety.
Good luck,
L.

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts
My daughter brought three extremely liberal girlfriends home from college and they all had a ball.
I've taken many liberal friends shooting for their first time, and they always had a blast. They also always left still thinking that guns should be outlawed.

Never try figuring out a liberal.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Or you could just pull the old, your daughter asks him to spend bonding time with you and suggests that he go with the range with you. Somehow I think your daughter can get him to come with you much easier than you ever will (and not necessarily like THAT)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Two daughters

I like the trap idea. What about paying for a basic handgun training class for him? Or both him and the daughter? (I however assume that the girl has already gone through basic at least.)
I have two daughters and one shoots the old 1911 better than me and the other (the one marrying him) has no interest in shooting thus far. Maybe I should give them both a ccw class. Good idea. Thanks

·
Administrator
73,988 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks

He's bound to suggest some sort of "male bonding" adventure to get on your good side, if he hasn't done so already. If so then offer to take him shooting, and just bring along some basic .22's like a rifle and pistol.

If OTOH he has no interest in any sort of "day out" with you I would seriously wonder about him. Not trying to sound like Dr. Phil, but any decent young man would try to do something to get on his future father-in-law's good side.
Thanks. I thought about low kick weapons, but I'd hope to boost him up in manhood by allowing him to put some power down range. I am afraid the 22 may keep him where he is now.... soft. On the other hand, he did say he is afraid of guns. I may have to break out the Ruger 1022. GBA&2nd

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks AZ

Take a low recoil rifle, a shotgun, and an easy to use handgun for a sample day. I've never had anyone not have fun. My daughter brought three extremely liberal girlfriends home from college and they all had a ball. Used up all the ammo I brought. I'd suggest finding a spot in the woods or desert to avoid the intimidating Range Nazis.
Thanks AZ

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guns

Has he seen your collection, or ever been brought up in conversation? Bringing it up subtly , or better yet having your wife bring it up subtly, might break into something that you might talk about. I know my brother isn't exactly a manly man, but not feminist either more of an inbetween. He wasn't interested in guns till I had brought it up with my dad a year ago and he thought it would be cool to shoot one, but never wanted to go with friends as they might rag him. Pulling the trigger for the first time can be a small mountain to overcome. Until you fire it a few times you get this preconceived notion that you might accidently hurt yourself or someone else, drop the gun, lose some hearing, gun blow up etc etc etc

Most don't want to spend $600 to purchase a gun that they shoot once and hate it. Or they think it is hard to get a firearm. I know I felt a little out of my comfort zone going to purchase my first gun. I didn't grow up around them so me going in I felt like I was the idiot that everyone knew I was an idiot in firearms. Soon after I found out that most people don't have as much as my little knowledge of guns. It's like everything else in life buy the flashiest most expensive thing and talk the talk.

Who knows he might have an interest in them and you just have to crack open the door to it. Trap shooting is fun though so you might be able to do that. But if he is a regular movie watcher pistols might peak his interest more. Every shootout, every cop movie shows that frame by frame picture of a cop making that perfect shot mostly with a pistol. The new generation watches way too much tv and the pistols might be ingrained into his head that it would be cool to learn to shoot them.
He actually commented that he is in to computers. Thanks Good advice.

·
Registered
500 Posts
On a serious note, I find it easier to get newcomers into shooting by using very low powered firearms and using targets that react (eg. empty pop cans). I've found that this produces the sense of "reward" when they actually hit the target, unlike a paper target that requires you to walk up or stop and retrieve it on a line. Keep it as informal as possible and like AZ Husker already mentioned, do it away from range Nazis or those shooters that make it a point to let you know they're shooting some "magnum" rounds today. Using .22LR is a great way to start.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That might get him shooting

Or you could just pull the old, your daughter asks him to spend bonding time with you and suggests that he go with the range with you. Somehow I think your daughter can get him to come with you much easier than you ever will (and not necessarily like THAT)
I can't imagine being afraid of guns like he is. I went to a local gun store and every time we cocked a weapon he stated,"I am afraid of guns." I see it as calling for help. The kid needs to shoot!

1 - 20 of 100 Posts