1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the great benefits of capitalism is choice. It can also be confusing. I have been thinking about adding a black DA 9mm "classic" pistol. I now have a CZ75B that I really like.

My problem is when I shot them they are all the same to me. Same basic accuracy, same basic size, etc.

So because I have a leaning toward military arms I am looking hard toward the Beretta 92FS. The IDF uses the Glock and that would be a secondary choice. But here in the good ole US of A they use the Beretta. I know the SEALs use the Sig but everyone else uses the 92FS.

Any reason the Beretta will not work for putting in a collection and shooting at the range weekly?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Yeah, I've kind of wanted one for the same reason. I don't like traditional DA -- I'd prefer a consistent pull every time. I think the Glock is a better piece overall. But since you're not looking at it for practical reasons, I say get it. I just don't want to get into collecting, so I probably never will get it, but I can't fault you for it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It works for me, i picked up a M9 commercial version with military markings and parts, its got a pointability factor that the other blocky type guns dont have . It really shoots nice and fits my small hands great. Rent one at a gun range and see if you like it.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Beretta 92 pistols are extremely easy to shoot despite the DA trigger. I can shoot mine all day long and never get tired. The combination of a fat grip and nothing to pinch or abrade the hands means they're pussycats to shoot. For a pistol that will see a lot of range use they are great, but for CCW they're not so great, because they're so big.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If I had to choose from just those two, the 92 is the best pick. The Glock's ergonomics are made only for aliens at best with the akward grip angle, sharp mag release, and non-existant slide release.

For me, I'd find a Certified Pre-Owned Sig P226 for around the same price as a Glock. You get the full factory warranty and (for Grade 1s) a gun you wouldn't know was shot for several hundred dollars off the new ones. To me, the 226 points better, is more accurate (especially with the bar/dot sights, but even with 3 dot NS it's still a little better), and the trigger has a much nicer feel (lighter DA, crisper SA with little stacking).

If you don't plan to customize, find one of the M9 Editions for the bar/dot sights instead of the regular 92FS.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
Beretta recently made another limited run of special 92FS pistols with the military M9 markings. Unfortunately they make better shooters than collectibles because they have several plastic parts (trigger, safety lever, guide rod) typical of recent production. My commercial M9 was from the very first batch in 1999, and has all-metal components plus the "PM" proof marks on the slide and barrel. If I were going to buy another Beretta I'd definitely seek out an older one, be it M9 or 92FS, with the metal parts.

·
Registered
38 Posts
While I own a 92fs inox, i think the sig 226 is a better gun for long term durability. But a 92 does shoot nice. I find its to big to carry regularly and find myself packing my glock 19.

·
Registered
112 Posts
The 92FS is a very sweet shooter. I like the Sig too. I've shot alot from the SIGPRO in .40. No contest, 92FS is hands down a great pistol to shoot. One of the smoothest cycling pistols I have ever owned. The Glock to me is more of a "tool" gun. They do shoot, but your still stuck with a very utilitarian, block of poly/steel that launches lead, great gun for what they are meant for. Now, don't misunderstand me, If I could only have 1....Colt 1911.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
I once had a P226 for a brief time. I shouldn't have sold it. Like the 92FS it was a pleasure to shoot. It's main vice is the same as the Beretta, that for the size you might as well pack a .45 instead.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I'll go with BucBrew on the P226 Navy, I have one and it is a great shooter. You might want to try one of the new SiG DAKs, they are DA only with a much lighter pull.

Good luck.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
Beretta 92 is a good looking pistol (right next to Sig 226). Somehow I never like Glock (not to get onto the Glock fan)… the combination of plastic and block-ie looking design never get to me. :hrm:

The first round of 92FS is DA, the rest are all SA.

Have it with over 10K + rounds… still going well. :rock:

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
I've been introduced to M9 back in USSR in basic training. It passed the "drunken russian conscript test" :) with flying colors Have had it here in the US for 6 year and traded it in for Dan Wesson 1911. IMHO it is a very solid accurate (military grade accurate) and reliable plus with the exception of safety lever it had great ergonomics for my hands. The only reason I've traded it in is that it was too big for concealed carry and not nearly as accurate as DW and I only had so much money to spent... Looking back it was a mistake.

As far as SIGS go I shoot my buddie's 228 M11 quite often and ergonomics are not for my hands. It is a great gun but the trigger guard reach is too long for my fingers, and for the world of me I cannot grip this gun consistently and comfortably.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the input guys. I know all have their favorites. I have shot the G17, 92FS and Sig226. To me they all feel the same with the exception of the G17 trigger. That's a heavy SA to me.

I do like the lines of the 92FS more than the 226. And you have the broader U.S. military thing going. I was looking for 1911 shooters opinion of the choices., and I got them

I wasn't looking for CCW. When I do I will take a j-frame or one of my 1911's. Usually the mutt. Half Colt; half Essex. Believe it or not it's the best 1911I ever shot. Including Colt, Kimber Springfield and Para. But it does have a little pony on the slide.:rock:

So thanks everyone for the time you took to answer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heres a snipette from www.sigarms.com about the Navy:

The P226-9-NAVY is produced to the exact specifications of the pistols supplied to Navy SEALs including special corrosion-resistant finish on internal parts, contrast sights, slides engraved with an anchor to designate them as Naval Special Warfare pistols and a certificate of authenticity. For commercial sales the pistol comes with two 10-round magazines. These limited production P226-9-Navy pistols will also carry a special unique “NSW” serial number starting with NSW0001.

But in today's ever changing and increasingly dangerous world, not every operator makes it back alive. That is why SIGARMS has committed to donate up to $100,000 to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation through the sale of this pistol. Established in 1980, the Warrior Foundation provides support for families of American Special Operations personnel who have lost their lives in service to our country, primarily through scholarships, which guarantee that all of the children of these fallen heroes will be able to attend college.

SIGARMS was pleased to work closely with the Warrior Foundation and Special Tactical Services, Inc. (STS), to put this unique fundraising program together. And we hope that when you choose a pistol you will consider not just owning one of the best but also helping the families of the best.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
The Navy was buying P226 pistols back when they used the roll-stamped slide. I see the new commercial version has the milled stainless slide, and can't help but wonder if the Navy has received these as well, or if this new commercial isn't quite authentic.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
dsk said:
Beretta recently made another limited run of special 92FS pistols with the military M9 markings. Unfortunately they make better shooters than collectibles because they have several plastic parts (trigger, safety lever, guide rod) typical of recent production. My commercial M9 was from the very first batch in 1999, and has all-metal components plus the "PM" proof marks on the slide and barrel. If I were going to buy another Beretta I'd definitely seek out an older one, be it M9 or 92FS, with the metal parts.
Where are the proof marks located? I hadnt looked for them or noticed them on mine. I dont know if mine is a very early one or not, I just know the trigger and safety lever arent plastic on mine, althought the guide rode is.

PS I broke it down and found the PM proof marks on the side of the barrel back towards the rear, but didnt find the marks on the slide. Where are those located?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Im looking at berettas, but I want one with M9 markings, looks like theyre a couple hundred more than one that says 92fs on it. I may hold off on it for a while and stick with the bhp until funds permit me buying another handgun.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts