1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. Well I took the plunge, and am now the proud owner of a Custom Eclipse II!! Just finished cleaning her up. God is that a pretty pistol. I'm almost afraid to shoot her
I know you guys will yell at me for this hehe, but I traded my Glock for it. I know, I know. Welcome back to the fold. I've been carring SIG's and that Glock for the last 10 years. This pistol feels like part of me. I forgot what a 1911 felt like. I used to shoot bullseye, then ran out of time to compete. Traded my Gold Cup on a SIG 220. I guess I went down hill from there. But now that I have my sanity back.... I'll put a few rounds down range and let you know how it goes. I've rambeled on long enough. Wish me luck.

Mike

·
Registered
655 Posts
Good decision making process there!
I hope you enjoy the pistol and hallejuah! The prodigal son returns!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just went out back and ran 50 rounds of Fiocchi 230gr JHP through it. All I can say OH MY GOD!!!! 7 yards 5 shots .75" offhand. Great gun, crappy mag. I have to say that is one of the sh*ttiest mags I have ever seen. To get reliable feeding I had to keep a finger on the bottom of the mag. It's like the slot in the mag where the mag catch engages is to wide, i.e. the magazine sits a little low in the grip. With the slide back and a magazine in I get almost a tenth of an inch of vertical movement. If that is the only trouble, I'll still be one happy camper. Looks like I need to look for some Wilson mags.

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
I found the factory MecGar mags to be pretty damn good. If it is a factory mag and acting like that, it may be more than just the mag. Go ahead and get some Wilsons, but don't be surprised if it acts up again. (maybe it won't at all, never know until try em) Oh and Welcome to the magazine circus!

------------------
If you don't mind being where you are, you are not lost.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought my first Kimber today. I had wanted the Ultra Ten II, but I tried the Eclipse Ultra II and really liked it. Regarding the mags, the guy at the store was wearing a Kimber Pro Carry and he told that the first he did was toss the Kimber mags in the back of his gun vault. Replaced them with Wilson's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Cable Guy,
Good trade. I had to trade two Glocks for my Kimber. Best decision I ever made. I carry a P220 daily as my PD doesn't allow single action carry. Enjoy your Kimber, I sure don't have any complaints about mine.

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Cable-Guy:

You don't know how jealous I am. The Custom Eclipse II IS one of the prettiest guns out there, especially for the price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more comment. I did somemore investigating, and I discovered that the trouble I was having is most likely ammo related. The Fiocchi 230gr JHP seem to have a very long bullet. After having been chambered, the bullet has a bright ring around it. It's right at the base of the ogive. I'm going to guess that's the reason my gun wouldn't go into battery. Guess I should have looked more before I blamed the mag.

Mike

PS I think this is the best looking, best shooting pistol I have ever owned.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Another happy Eclipse II owner here. Very nice looking gun and very accurate so far. Pleasant to shoot with a clean, crisp trigger pull.

Two complaints - front sight went dark after 360 rounds. Need to send back to Kimber to replace. Very edge of slide stop notch is burred after only 6 or 7 slide releases using slide stop lever. Don't normally use that method, but decided to tinker a little at the range Bad idea!

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

[This message has been edited by Fred (edited 10-09-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts