1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i didn't know where to put this post so feel free to move it, if need be. i took the plunge and traded a glock 21 for a new 2001 springfield parkerized with nite sites. it is the full size loaded model. it comes in Tuesday and since we don't have a waiting period here in AL, i will be bringing her home in two days! my post is also about ammo. i just bought a 1000 rds of Aguila hardball for $175. i just couldn't pass up the price. is this a good load for the springfield 1911? it has always worked well in my glocks, but i have not tried it in any other .45. has anyone used this ammo and did you like it? thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Well, congrats' on the SA...Where's the pic'?

Don't know about the ammo...It's a big company...Did you get 230gr?

Did you see the pre-frag bullets?

Post some pics' and then review that ammo...Where did you get it?

Cole?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Never tried Aquilla, but my full size Loaded eats everything I've put through it. Congrats on a fine pistol. Have fun.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just brought my pistol home this afternoon and i could not be happier. it is a lot of pistol for the money. i can't post a pic as my digital camera is down right now. i will post a range report in a few days when it stops raining down here. i already ordered several wilson mags as the general position is the factory mags are not up to snuff. they look like mec-gars but they have no markings, so i am not certain. i like that the manual has the step-by-step on removing the ils mainspring housing if you do not want it. i don't really mind, but i will be changing mainspring housings as i want one with checkering. but all in all, i am a very happy springfield owner.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Congrats,

I'm enjoying mine so far. I'm impressed that the factory mags worked perfectly. Unless you have to have 8 rounders only, if you got the discount coupon, the factory 7 rounds might be worth a go. Otherwise have fun with your new gun.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I keep sayin' this, but, so far no one has taken me up on it!

...I'll take all of those nasty SA mags off your hands!...Contact me and I'll give you an address...I wouldn't want those nasty things dirtyin' up your new pistol...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, i took my new springfield out to the range this afternoon. i shot several kinds of ammo:
50 rds of Magtech 230 gr hardball
40 rds of Speer Lawman 230 gr hardball
40 rds of Winchester Winclean 185 gr flatnose
20 rds of Winchester Silvertip 185 gr hp

i love this pistol. it is extremely accurate and easy to shoot. all loads shot point of aim, except the Speer. it was accurate but shot a bit low. it even tolerated the nasty winclean flatpoint that makes my glock jam. the only problem was on the last round it throws the empty straight up. this does not really bother me, but about 5 times it failed to leave the chamber and the case was stuck hortizontally in the pistol. this was random as it happened with different mags and ammo. i was using 8rd Wilson mags(47D) as the factory mags consistently jammed on the last round. i may try and tune them but was not going to worry about it my first time out. i checked the extractor tension when i came home and it seems fine. but it smacks of something else as it only does it on the last round. any help would be greatly appreciated. i know a little about 1911s but i am not an expert by any means. i have been running glocks for the last 5 years almost exclusively. sorry i am so longwinded, but in closing let me just say that i think i am going to love this pistol. i will put a few more hundred through it before i get worried.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Glad it's comfy in its' new home!!
You have the right approach...Just keep shootin' and takin' note of the lil' gotchas' to see if they clear up or not...DOES sound like the pistol instead of the mags...Don't know if you realized that you already know that...The mags are ALL havin' a prob with the LAST round...So it's just more pronounced with the SA mags...If you use them, they'll take a set and work better as well... I had some ejector probs with my Champ...the combination of a weak extractor and soft ejector caused my probs...Just keep workin' with it...If it doesn't get better in 5-600 rounds, then you'll have eliminated break-in as an issue...Sounds like you got a good one...Enjoy it and keep on shovin' those bullets through it!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Archangel

Sounds like the extractor tension might still be a little weak...check out m1911.org for tips on tuning your extractor if it continues. Could be a couple issues but I'd leave the mags alone. Most common problems with 1911's seeem to be ammo, mags and then extractors. Sometimes break-in will cure it when burrs, parkerizing etc. get worn in a little.

Good luck and glad you like it

JSP

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it seems that this pistol just needed to be broke in well. i took it to the range again and put another 100 rounds through it without a hitch. even the two mags that came with the springfield shot perfectly. i think the breech face is a little rough judging by the brass. i may polish it or just shoot the pistol and not worry about it. i can't believe that an out-of-the-box gun is so tight and well-fitted. i was not expecting that, it is almost as accurate as my friend's les baer. not knocking baer in any way, just very pleased with my springfield. i will buy a TRP operator as soon as my wife gets her champion! thanks for all the help, i have really benefitted from this site.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Originally posted by Archangel:
i didn't know where to put this post so feel free to move it, if need be. i took the plunge and traded a glock 21 for a new 2001 springfield parkerized with nite sites. it is the full size loaded model. it comes in Tuesday and since we don't have a waiting period here in AL, i will be bringing her home in two days! my post is also about ammo. i just bought a 1000 rds of Aguila hardball for $175. i just couldn't pass up the price. is this a good load for the springfield 1911? it has always worked well in my glocks, but i have not tried it in any other .45. has anyone used this ammo and did you like it? thanks for any input.
Wow, where did you find the Aguila for 175? that's a good price. I've put about 400 rounds of it through my Kimber Classic without a hiccup, it fed where my Fiocchi and PMC wouldn't without a couple ftf's per box. I just bought a new Champion this afternoon and that's what I plan to break it in on. My dealer/range charges 15 per box but let me slide for 12.50 and let me keep the brass, Aguila offers it on their site for 199 per thousand which is a pretty good deal for good quality ammo. I think it burns pretty clean, definitely cleaner the PMC or Fiocchi, but I don't know if it's cleaner the Winclean. Congrats on your nw SA
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i bought my aguila ammo from a local dealer. he gives free shipping to anyone in AL. i can't remember the name, met him at a gunshow. i seem to still have a little ejection problem. sent it back to springfield for a good once over. no sense in having a lifetime warranty if you don't use it when you need to. in fact, that was the main reason in choosing to buy a springfield. i had a kimber a few years back, i had a problem and they treated me terribly and acted like they could care less. besides, my loaded model is twice as accurate and the trigger is just this side of perfect. they are a great improvement over last years model. now i am just waiting on my pistol to come back, i'm starting to get withdrawals. thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts