1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rock:
I have been looking for a work/ tool box gun project for sometime. When I seen this well used speciman on Gunbroker I put a low ball bid and for the price of an RIA I ended up with it. When I received it I was dismayed to find the trigger very stiff and the slide was gritty and stickey. When I removed the slide it showed a lot of wear along the disco trac and the disco was was almost stationary. I completely disassembled it and found 35yrs of crud. I washed it out with parts cleaner and all it did was turn the crud white. I ended up using a brush and dental pick water and simple green to dislodge it. All the innerds were covered and each had to be cleaned. I took a small flat file and smoothed the disco trac and polished the disco hole. After replacing all the springs the trigger smoothed up. The Park tank is calling it but I really like the smooth surface and dehorning of 35yrs holster wear. The barrel and collet bushing show very little wear and lockup is excellent. I replaced the batterd wood grips with the black plastic in case I want to douse it with CLP after a ride on the ATV or Jeep. I might consider some mods later but for now it will be a utility gun that will serve me well. Thanks Truman

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Nice piece.
I picked up a Colt 9mm beater for the same thing.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Strip it down and let it soak in some Mineral Spirits for about a half hour. Take out. Scrub bad areas with tooth brush. Let soak for another half hour and shake out and dry. You can blow it out with compressed air.
Relube and reassemble.
Leave grip out of mineral spirits. Only metal parts.
Fast way to clean a really gunked up gun. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strip it down and let it soak in some Mineral Spirits for about a half hour. Take out. Scrub bad areas with tooth brush. Let soak for another half hour and shake out and dry. You can blow it out with compressed air.
Relube and reassemble.
Leave grip out of mineral spirits. Only metal parts.
Fast way to clean a really gunked up gun. Don't ask me how I know.
This was the stangest stuff it almost had a wax texture to it. Every piece was coated. I suspect solidified WD40. Still had spots of rust underneath it however. Truman

·
Premium Member
5,401 Posts
Soak everything but the grips in 10W-30 motor oil for a couple of days. Clean off well and then re-assemble.:rock:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts