1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any options for tool free take-down on a Compact? The Kimber system is a major PITA. I had to hunt down a paper clip at the range today because I left the Official Kimber Paper Clip at home.

I heard tell of replacing the FLGR with a short one and changing the plug. Has anybody tried this, and how well did it work? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing, and will be interested in the answer. Take-down without the paper clip would be so nice, and so much quicker.

I have been tempted to try to back out the tube without the *take-down* tool in place, but I'm afraid my old eyes won't find the springs after they quit bouncing off the walls.

DQ

·
Registered
143 Posts
i never tried to take the gun down without the tool. however i did try to re-assemble it. i placed the plug in the slide
(after the barrel) the spring on the gr and tried to insert the GR. impossible. the GR stop (fat piece on the back end)couldnt get past the link on the barrel. and if i angled the GR down to pass the link, it's to steep to slide into the plug. i had to take the barrel out. feed the gr and spring into the plug (still in frame) replace tool. take out GR, insert barrel, ect.ect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
kimber sent me 3 spare tools for free - why dont you get a few extra and always leave one in your case.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's just one of those things...I don't like needing a tool for basic field stripping.

On the other hand, while I'm still only wringing the gun out, it seems to be acceptably reliable so far. I hesitate to change anything as critical as the recoil spring system at this point.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You just said, or wrote, the magic words!!

It is the recoil system. Don't jack with it, unless you really need to. I find I can strip my Compact quite quickly with the little paper clip thingy. Now, when it is time to change the recoils spring , frankly it is a bitch. But, it is worth it to me, because I like that bull barrel, and the pistol is RELIABLE, and quite accurate for its size.

I shoot my Compact more than any other gun I own. I am quite happy with it and the way it works!

·
Registered
143 Posts
the custom shop said i should change the recoil spring after 800-1000 rounds in my pro cdp - shooting 150 rounds a week, thats every 2 months - seems like a bit much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
sreiter, shoot 800 rounds then remove the recoil spring. Then visually compare the used spring to a new spring. You won't think it's a bit much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought the Ultra CDP last week and already have 400 rounds thru it with no malfunctions.When I replace the recoil springs what should I replace them with? Stock OMC or after markets and what lb rateings. This is by far the best gun I have owned.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> I spoke with Dennis from the custom shop last week. He told me the recoil spring on the Compact should be replaced about every 800-900 rounds.
He also said Wolff is working on another spring set-up, that should last longer. You might get in touch with Wolff, and see what progress they are making.
Just a suggestion.

======================

<><> Raspy <><>

·
Registered
551 Posts
I used the dreaded Dremel tool to carve out a very small pocket in the back of one of the grip panels, between the frame and the grip, deep enough that the grip seats as normal. Then I cut a paper clip just long enough on both ends to do the job. I put the "mini" clip in the grip panel, and it is always there if I need it.

At home, I use the full size because it is a little easier to work with.

BT

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's pretty clever, BloodyThumb. I was kind of thinking along those lines (on-board storage somewhere) but I didn't get very far.
I couldn't think of any place to put a clip that wouldn't need another tool to get at. I've got the tool in my range bag now, and I'm just going to live with needing it for disassembly. The gun has impressed me enough to replace my Sig for carry, so it's worth the annoyance.

800 rounds for each spring change is kind of disheartening. I've had the gun for two weeks and I'm already overdue. I didn't find anything on Wolff's website about an improved spring system for the Kimbers. Might give them a call if I can get up early enough.

·
Registered
645 Posts
boing -

Why don't you go way past the 800 round mark in terms of changing out the recoil spring and see how your gun functions? If your gun functions perfectly with no signs of increased recoil or frame battering, why change the springs? Just because someone said to? You can probably find experts that will tell you not to change the spring until you reach 1,000 or 5,000 or etc,etc,etc.

After all we are not talking about a helicopter with time change parts and catastrophic results from ignoring the parts change.

MadDog

·
Registered
551 Posts
I forgot to mention one other thing. After I had shown a friend how I had stored the mini in my grip, he remarked that it would be harder to do with his, because it had the stock Kimber rubber grips with a steel insert. It was a base Compact Aluminum.

We took off the right panel on his, and they were already prepped for an ambi safety, except for removal of the very back edge of the pocket. Removing it would make the small gap that could be seen from the outside with the grips in place, where the ambi blade rides under the grip. That little pocket, without the edge removed was a perfect fit for the mini clip that I had in mine. I gave him my mini and made another for myself later that day from another paper clip. If you had a set of those grips, without an ambi safety, you would be ready to go.

BT

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MadDog- That's just what I'm going to do. I don't shoot +P in .45, and generally speaking, the preventative maintenance recommendations of any manufacturer err well on the side of caution, and leave some wiggle room for those who don't read so good.

Not to say that it's wise to ignore such recommendations, especially on a carry gun...just take them with a grain of salt. Detail stripping, for instance, is rarely if ever recommended, but that's never stopped me before, and teaching myself how to do it has always been a valuable experience, with any gun.

Hopefully I'll get to the range this weekend with the Kimber (and the CZ
). If I do, I'll try to compare my spring with the one from another 4" Kimber my dealer has in the case. I know that a brand new spring that's never been in a gun will be longer than an identical spring that's has been in a gun for awhile, even if that gun has never been fired (the installed spring sets, and becomes shorter than factory fresh).

Bottom Line: It works. Shoot and Be Happy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Shortly after I got my Kimber Compact, to took the Kimber tool, a needle nose pliers, and a box of paper clips, and made about 2 dozen of the tools. I then proceeded to put at least one of them in every range bag I own, in every car I won, in several rooms of the house, and in my office. I also taped (duct tape) one on the back of each of the two holsters I use with that gun. I also taped one to a business card that I keep in my wallet.

So far, I've never been without a tool when I needed one! (g)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts