1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the 1911. Plenty of tools and experience in other guns. What is needed in the cleaning and maintenance of the 1911? more targeted do I need a bushing wrench? I have loads of stuff to clean and work on everything from a .22 to a 6.5 CM.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you have or later come across a pistol with a fitted bushing, you may or may not need a bushing wrench. There are methods of disassembly and reassembly for such pistols that normally don't require a bushing wrench. For routine maintenance, you really don't need much more than a good set of screwdrivers. If a grip screw bushing comes loose, you will need to remove and repair or replace it. I would wait until the need arises, unless you plan to start gunsmithing on them.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
As far as a bushing wrench, it depends on whether the bushing is fitted or not. If you own a Baer, you will definitely need a wrench. Wilson, no. Nighthawk, conditional No. ACW, no. Springfield and Colt, probably not.

As far as other tools are concerned, here is a pic of what I use. The two black ones beneath the dowel rod are especially useful.

·
Registered
38 Posts
For a standard 1911A1, No tools are needed, for a normal maintenance field strip & cleaning. As you get fancier 1911 styles, you may need the tools provided with the firearm, when you get it.

·
Registered
11,959 Posts
I've never used a bushing wrench, and don't own one, but then I don't own a Les Baer either.

You can watch Hickok45 clean and lube his 1911 in this video to see what tools he uses.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The 1911 was designed to be fully disassembled with no tools other than the gun itself. Which is why so many need specialized tools. :)

Many 1911s aren't built according to original military specs. You'll often need a few screwdrivers and punches and a bushing wrench helps.

Jeff

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
The previous owner of my 1911a1 colt government series 80 in nickel didn’t use a bushing wrench. (Spring loaded bushing) He pulled out the slide stop lever probably with a screw driver. Under the lever he scratched the nickel where we can’t see it.
Does anyone need a bushing wrench you bet everyone should have one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts