1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI Guys,
Just fired my new SA loaded in 9mm (ramped barrel). Before its first outing, I changed the loose barrel bushing for a WC drop in. Noticed some barrel springing but since the barrel is not linked up too high and I didn't notice any signs of binding when I cycle the slide, I went ahead and shot the gun.

After my range session (300 rounds), I noticed some top lug flanging on the top lugs, but located at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions (not on the top of the upper lugs, but mostly on the sides. The slide lug recesses show the corresponding rounding of edges but to a minimal degree.

I have reinstalled the factory barrel bushing which is very loose, but I'm afraid to shoot the thing for fear that the flanging will worsen and damage the slide. The timing of the gun looks normal, but I'm no expert in determining this.

When I normally pull back the slide, the barrel does unlock properly without upper lug drag.

What caused such a thing? Was it the barrel springing that caused this??

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,339 Posts
Strip the gun so that you can lay the barrel in the slide with first one barrel bushing in the firing position, then the other. With the locking lugs engaged, push the barrel forward such as to try and open the gap between the barrel hood and the breech face. How large is the gap with either bushing? Sheet of paper, larger or non-existant?

On the other hand, perhaps you are bending the barrel significantly with the new bushing, such that the chamber end is at a steeper angle than it would normally be, resulting in unusual lug contact.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts