1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I am looking at buying a new Kimber pro.
I am torn between the SIS and the CDP. Or should I save some money and get a ProCarry HD II (which has a stainless steel frame & slide) ?
Any sugestions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The SIS has stainless steel slide, frame and mainspring housing. The CDP only has a stainless steel slide - the frame is aluminum.

The Gunny

·
Registered
364 Posts
It will all depend on your intended use for the pistol IMHO.

If you want a pistol that will last you a LONG time and that a high round count should not be a problem with, go with the stainless steel framed/slide SIS. If you want an excellant lighter weight carry pistol that you will NOT shoot more then 15-20 thousand rounds through during it's life time then the alumimum framed CDP would work well. Both are more accurate than most shooters are and will go bang each and every time if you feed them decent ammo.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
If you carry daily, every ounce matters. If you don't, the all steel gun will handle +P loads better and will likely outlive the aluminum frame gun.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi,
I am looking at buying a new Kimber pro.
I am torn between the SIS and the CDP. Or should I save some money and get a ProCarry HD II (which has a stainless steel frame & slide) ?
Any sugestions?
If you have to carry the gun for long periods of time buy the alloy framed gun.
A few onces doesn't seem like it would make much difference on your hip but it does. As for frame durability I don't think it matters which material you purchase. IF, and that's a big IF, you did have a problem with the frame after several thousand rounds i'd be willing to bet that Kimber would replace it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Bronchodawg said:
I am torn between the SIS and the CDP. Or should I save some money and get a ProCarry HD II ?
The Pro Carry HD is less expensive than either the CDP or SIS.

Both are good guns. Handle both and choose the one you like best. As noted above, the CDP is a better daily carry piece because of the lighter weight. If you don't mind the extra weight, the SIS is excellent.

Like I said, choose the one you like best, you will - not - be disappointed either way (OR, start saving and get both :biglaugh: ).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Lots of good advice given! :rock:

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
I've always found that when you cant decide between two things, it's always best to buy both. JMO :)

claire

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you want an excellant lighter weight carry pistol that you will NOT shoot more then 15-20 thousand rounds through during it's life time then the alumimum framed CDP would work well.
Has anyone actually gathered substantive data showing the aluminum frame will not last past 15-20k rounds? All I ever hear is speculation.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Has anyone actually gathered substantive data showing the aluminum frame will not last past 15-20k rounds? All I ever hear is speculation.
Take an alloy framed Kimber to the range, run a few hundred JHP's through it, and tell me if the feed ramp is still perfectly smooth...it won't be, I don't care which brand of ammo it is. Alloy frame=carry. Steel=carry/shoot all you want.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Are you speaking of a Ultra? Ron

Take an alloy framed Kimber to the range, run a few hundred JHP's through it, and tell me if the feed ramp is still perfectly smooth...it won't be, I don't care which brand of ammo it is. Alloy frame=carry. Steel=carry/shoot all you want.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I'd like to know more about the subject myself.

Split-followers used in some magazines will ding/mar an alloy feed-ramp. I have seen firsthand evidence of this on my Colt LW OACP(carried a lot/shot a little).

I have an alloy-framed Kimber,RCPII,Ultra,that I shoot all I want,no worries. It has a ramped bbl.:) Just like the SIS.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My Ultra CDPII eats alot of hollow points and it is still nice and pretty...It is a ramped barrel so how would a problem arise?:confused:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Ramped bbl.=the nose of bullet hits the steel ramp of the bbl.

Regular bbl. =nose of bullet hits feed-ramp of the frame. Then the feed-ramp would be made from whatever the rest of the frame is made of.

I have an alloy-framed(scandium) S&W1911. It has about 1k rounds of mixed ball and jhp. Still looks like new to me. All the anodizing is present still(black).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The Pro Carry HD is less expensive than either the CDP or SIS.

Both are good guns. Handle both and choose the one you like best. As noted above, the CDP is a better daily carry piece because of the lighter weight. If you don't mind the extra weight, the SIS is excellent.

Like I said, choose the one you like best, you will - not - be disappointed either way (OR, start saving and get both :biglaugh: ).
I've always found that when you cant decide between two things, it's always best to buy both. JMO :)

claire

I agree with what they say.....can't decide buy both. Ohh wait that's what I do. I always tell my wife it was a 2 for 1 special. I got 2 for 1 special price!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts