1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purches a stainless steel tornado brush. Are these safe to use? I'm concerned about scratching my barrel with extended use.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I bought one when I first got my Kimber but have never used it, for the concerns you've cited. I only shoot jacketed ammo, and usually only a few hundred rounds between cleanings, so I've never run into anything that a nylon brush, Break-Free, and a little elbow grease wouldn't take care of.

------------------
"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that that is where he is."
-- James Thurber

·
Registered
152 Posts
I bought a tornado brush to clean the cylinders of my revolvers. I have used it several times and have not seen even a hint of scratching from its' use.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think this is another one of the gimmics.It's made of material that is close to the hardness of what you're cleaning,and the ends are looped? Great on flat surfaces but not much on the corners.I bought 1 for a Super Blackhawk,and it hasn't been used 3 times.The gun was parted with over 10yrs ago.Guess I should go see if it's rusted.

[This message has been edited by rex (edited 10-07-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
I always wondered about those tornado brushes. Never bought them though. The bronze, and nylon have been working for me.

------------------
Isn't this the land of the free?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Toss it and get a phospher bronze brush, preferably without points on the end. This is just my opinion. I won't use a carbon or stainless steel brush on my guns.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have ruined several barrels with stainless brushes, though I have not used the tornado variety.

Accuracy is destroyed by fouling long before you can see any damage in the bore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used the tornado brushes in rifles and pistols but gave up as they just didn't clean any better then a snug fitting bronze one. No damage incurred as the SS is very soft with no hard, stiff edges as a SS brush. However, they are the best thing going to clean shotgun barrels with. Nothing else even comes close.

A

·
0 Posts
I agree with 45shortcolt.

I don't use them on my shotguns either.

I normally use my Bore Snake for this chore.

------------------
Guns don't kill people,
People kill people!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts