1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Ultra Light Carry Sentinel. Really like the pistol but...
The Wilson 8 round mags with the slim butt plates stick out of the grip enough that it negates any advantage of the shorter grip. With the supplied mags in place it is within a few hundredths of an inch in height with a CCO. Is there a true flush fit magazine available that works with this pistol. I would be willing to give up one round of capacity in order to trim the height when holstered for concealed carry. The 8 round mags are reliable and I would carry them as reloads in a mag pouch.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Well, the Sentinel is like it's own version of a short CCO so you are out of luck using any magazines but the Wilson's, it's like owning a SA EMP.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking today at the mags for my DW CCO pistol and modifying a welded base magazine would be very easy to do. There is actually only about 3/8" difference in length between a flat base compact mag and what a flat base Sentinel mag would be. No real major work would be required to modify a CCO mag to fit properly as long as one accepts the reduction of 1 or possibly 2 rounds and doesn't push the limit of the spring compression.
I did send a request to WC regarding this and haven't heard back but it would seem to be very much in the realm of possibility. They are gunsmiths and should be able to fabricate such an item if they choose to but at what price? A bit of cutting, filing and TIG welding on a stainless compact mag body would get it done fairly easily. Perhaps the delay in answer indicates they are looking into the steps needed to create what I desire.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
You're probably already aware of this...but since there was a time when I was not, I'll mention it...just in case.

While flush-fitting mags have both aesthetic advantages and fractionally smaller profile advantages, it is all too easy, when under stress, to fail to fully insert such a magazine during a fast life-or-death reload situation.

"Tap and rack" might also not work quite as reliably in clearing a jam with a flush fit mag.

Finally, if one ever practices (or attempts) a one-handed reload, a flush fit mag might likely present an added hurtle.

IOW, he sure it's what you really want before proceeding further. The Sentinel is obviously a SD-purposed gun, and if it's used for such purposes, there's something to be said for considering the above types of issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed regarding the issue of mag insertion under stress. The flush fit magazine would be the in the pistol when holstered as a first use magazine never as a reload. I would use the WC supplied 8 round ETM type mags for any reloads. I just find it strange that a SD gun apparently designed for maximum concealment has magazines that make the dimensions of the pistol larger. Why shorten all the dimensions on the gun and then hang an extra 1/4" off the butt?

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
It is always good for the buyer to have a choice. He/ she can most likely make their own best decision without it being limited/forced by the marketplace. I'd still go with the 1/4" extra length, but this doesn't make it the "right" decision for the next person.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was just taken back that one flush magazine was not included or available as an option for the pistol similar to many other smaller framed carry guns.
But it is a Wilson so function may have overridden form.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I gotta see a pictures of this, please post one

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are pictures to show the difference between my ULC Sentinel 9mm and a Dan Wesson Valkyrie CCO 45. I tried to not over-exagerate the angles as best I could. I think it will be obvious that there can be some gains made in the dimensions of the butt when the ETC mag is installed. The side view shows the DW behind the ULC and the two butt views have the DW on the right and the ULC on the left. It really shows up when the ULC mag is removed. A flush mag would help a lot with all the work that was done to otherwise reduce the size of the ULC Sentinel. I am looking into modifying a flush base 9mm CCO magazine as I have several pals capable of rewelding the base to the tube and I have access to machine tools to shorten the magazine.

Wilson Combat did a wonderful job on reducing the size of the pistol and I really enjoy shooting it, just feel a little more work to produce a flush magazine would have made it stellar!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
Especially with those pics, I think your request/wish is entirely reasonable.

On the other hand, I don't know that there's likely to be much demand for such a one gun-specific specialty magazine. If many "regulars" in this sub-forum expressed a desire to purchase such a magazine, then it might happen.... similar to the sterling silver medallions a few years ago. My guess is, however, that there's not going to be much demand... this unfortunately, as your request/wish is entirely reasonable.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if a large number of Sentinels are sold but they certainly have quite a few variations so the number may be larger than I realize. It really is a fine weapon for CCW if you prefer a 1911 style pistol as the butt is the hardest part to hide from curious eyes. I see on the WC website that they have also gone to the work of cutting the barrel and recoil spring bushing flush with the face of the slide to reduce the length even further. The barrel and bushing on my older model protrude somewhat but those parts are hidden within the holster so not as large an issue. I was rather hoping WC would step up to make or modify a magazine to put a finish to a great design but alas that is not going to occur. I have an older blued officer size magazine that I can experiment with and added a new stainless Officers magazine to a recent order. If the blued mag testing works out I will be doing a stainless one for carry.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I can see you point now, but I bet they opted for this less than flush fit for one extra round. I owned one of these about 4 years ago and found it to small but loved the idea and eventually went with the Sentinel Compact and I really love them.

I have a 9mm with a magwell and a 38 super w/out the magwell

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
There are other brands that fit your desires other than Wilson.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It just so happens that I own several other brands that I like.
I also like this pistol and it will be worth the minor effort to get it to my preference.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
It just so happens that I own several other brands that I like.
I also like this pistol and it will be worth the minor effort to get it to my preference.
Rest assured, you're not the only one with such sentiments about a Wilson firearm. They're so good, that if there's anything we'd like to add or adjust, then abandoning the Wilson entirely for something else isn't always appealing.

·
Registered
21,774 Posts
Log Man, poster on this board, has cut a number of SA EMP magazines flush.
He could surely do the same for the Sentinel if he would.

My FLG cut a number of 10x.45 to 9x.45 that fit The Box for IDPA.

No doubt there are others who could do the work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts