1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use 200 lead bullets over 5.2gr of Unique. I get a lot of smoke during rapid strings and its pretty bad at the indoor range. I've tried less powder, different powders, and more powder. Nothing seems to make the problem better. Switching to Clays made it worse. Has anyone gone from lead to the fully coated or plated bullets? I'm looking for an IDPA & USPSA major load using 200 gr. bullets that doesn't produce much smoke.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Although the lube on the lube on the bullet has a lot to do with the smoke, for sure I would expect Unique to smoke more than most any other powder. Clays is unknown to me since I'm a diehard W231 fan.

My own cast bullets lubed with Thompson Blue Angel lube over 5.5 grains of W231 are pretty good as far as smoke is concerned.

Where are you getting your bullets?

Plated bullets would improve the situation at an added cost.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had been buying from Jack Suber (Lightning Bullets) but he closed down. Reading some of the old topics on pet loads I found several who recommend Winchester Action Pistol (discontinued), Red Dot, and WW231. 231 works well but is still smokey inside. Ramshot Silhouette is also touted. The other people I shoot with have all handed me samples of their pet loads and all lead bullet loads seem to smoke. The only powder that I haven't been able to try in this manner is Silhouette. I'm going to see if anyone at the Shrine Temple show tomorrow has any. The only bullets I use are lead due to cost but am about to try either plated or coated.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I use 231 for both lead and coated bullets. The best lead bullets I have shot in terms of accuracy and smoke are the Laser Cast.

I don't find that smoke is a problem with plated (West Coast) or jacketed bullets. Even the jacketed 230 gr ball bullets from Remington that have exposed lead on the base don't smoke appreciably.

It's all in the lube and the powder.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts