1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any quick fixes to the scuffs I made when my punch slipped while I was trying to remove my magazine disconnect?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Could buy a blueing pen or something. Hehe, I did that to one of mine too. It's sucks. But now it's got its first beauty mark and now you don't have to worry about it so much anymore. Someday you can send it off to get it hard chromed. :cool:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines got that enamel finish, Im thinking of trying a few products but I know I will biff it up more without the right paint. I also did something that turned out to be a pretty dumb idea, I placed the gun in a vise with one side against the pin and the other side against a socket that would catch the pin as it moved; the pin never moved and I now have two half moon shapes from the socket on the side the pin comes out. Really sucks to have done this to a gun Ive only had for a week, but I can live with it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
nf9648 said:
Mines got that enamel finish, Im thinking of trying a few products but I know I will biff it up more without the right paint. I also did something that turned out to be a pretty dumb idea, I placed the gun in a vise with one side against the pin and the other side against a socket that would catch the pin as it moved; the pin never moved and I now have two half moon shapes from the socket on the side the pin comes out. Really sucks to have done this to a gun Ive only had for a week, but I can live with it.
I did that once to a Silver Chromed! Put it in the vice to remove the rear site. Put several layers of paper towels on each side. Sure enough the jaws of the vice bit through the paper towels and marred both sides!

You definately need certain equipment when working on guns if you don't wanna mess them up. Or maybe just not be a knobhead like me. :scratch: :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My vise has flat jaws, no teeth, but the socket sure left a ugly mark. I know exactly what you mean about the teeth cutting through paper, I almost always use flat brass covers on my vise jaws at work along with shop towels to keep things from marring and messing up the paint on aircraft parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts