1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I have been considering trading my Hi Power in on an STI LS9.I realize the Browning holds more rounds,but I have owned one for probably 10-15 years.The size and alleged craftsmanship of the LS9 are tempting me.Any thoughts?
Thanks
Tracer

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I wouldnt do it, however, I have been in your shoes. Sometimes I get an itch for a new gun, and to get the new gun I would need to trade in an older gun for the new gun. It always seemed like my new gun a few months later was traded in for another new gun, thus completing a cycle.

I look back at that now and I miss certian guns. Now I purchase new guns without trading in another. My collecting is growing

·
Registered
378 Posts
Trade a Hi Power for a 45 1911, maybe. Trade a Hi Power, a gun that was designed for and operates reliably with 9mm ammo for a 1911 that was designed for 45 acp and is finicky at best with 9mm ammo... NO!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I am opposed to trading or selling guns unless I HATE them. If you like your Hi Power at all, you will be better off selling that old TV in your garage, that guitar no one learned to play, that old Ronco Pocket Fisherman in your work shed, etc., etc.

Sell enough of that kind of stuff and take the money and buy your new gun. :)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I agree with GrandmasterB. Save your money and look for something else to sell that you have no passion in life for. I don't know what you are looking for in a new pistol, but if it's conceal carry the STI LS-9 does offer some advantages over the Browning. The STI is slimer than a regular 1911 and doesn't have a slide that tapers towards the muzzel like the Browing does. On the Browning this tends to push the frame further from the body and makes the biggger grip print even more. I have carried both in the past and that's my impression.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If the STI LS-9 is the little, cut down, "pocket rocket" (sorta) 1911? If so, the one I've seen and handled was not very reliable, according to the IPSC Master that briefly owned it.

Better to save up and buy a Kahr PM-9 if a smaller 9mm is wanted. As far as 1911s go, may as well save up for a L/W Commander in 9mm.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
I had some functioning problems, mostly not feeding with my STI LS-9. I called Chris at STI, sent it in and recieved a 100% reliable pistol back. My second LS was in .40S&W and has worked well out of the box so far, except for the rear sight becoming loose while firing. It doesn't yet have 100 rounds through it so I need to break it in more, but if I do have any problems I'm sure STI will take care of it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
From time to time, stick an extra $20 (if there is such a thing) in an envelope and try to forget its there. Before you know it you'll have a little stash to blow on a new toy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts