1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Even though the expected life span of any given pistol is open for debate, it's only common sense that every round you put through a pistol wears it to some degree.

With that out of the way, for those of you that shoot a lot, do you make a practice of trading in your pistols with a high round count for something else before you have to start replacing a lot of parts? In other words, do you treat it like you would an automobile that isn't a classic collectors item?

I know some of you guys never sell anything, but I was thinking that my Wilson CQB would have 10,000 rounds through it in less than three years and would make a great pistol for the casual shooter that puts 500 rounds a year through it and a great down payment for me on a new Wilson, or Ed Brown, or Les Baer....

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know some of you guys never sell anything, but I was thinking that my Wilson CQB would have 10,000 rounds through it in less than three years and would make a great pistol for the casual shooter that puts 500 rounds a year through it
:eek: The gun is barely broken in ;)
Seriously, The only parts that I have had to change on a gun are the springs… and I only do it because it makes me feel better.

I am not sure if I am the only one, but the more I shoot a gun, the more sentimental value it as. The guns I have sold in the past are the one sitting pretty in the safe… I figure if I don’t shoot it regularly, I probably won’t miss it.

Good luck wearing out your gun :)
Mike.

·
Registered
102 Posts
stickshooter said:
Even though the expected life span of any given pistol is open for debate, it's only common sense that every round you put through a pistol wears it to some degree.

With that out of the way, for those of you that shoot a lot, do you make a practice of trading in your pistols with a high round count for something else before you have to start replacing a lot of parts? In other words, do you treat it like you would an automobile that isn't a classic collectors item?

I know some of you guys never sell anything, but I was thinking that my Wilson CQB would have 10,000 rounds through it in less than three years and would make a great pistol for the casual shooter that puts 500 rounds a year through it and a great down payment for me on a new Wilson, or Ed Brown, or Les Baer....
10,000 is nothing. Its a Wilson and they give you a Lifetime Warr. so if it ever brakes they will fix it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I'll take that one step further... 10,000 is LESS than nothing. When the frame starts losing chunks of itself or the slide has a huge crack through the ejection port... it MIGHT be time for a new pistol. You might start to lose accuracy at anywhere between 25 and 50K, but that's just the barrel getting shot out. No call for a whole new gun.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I really liked the gun I'd rather replace parts. But then again, I usually get bored with my guns after a few years and then trade them in for something new. I guess you can also say that I'm monitarily challenged.;)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
You don't build a collection of anything by selling or trading off whatever it is you're collecting. I own 12 motorcycles and many guns because I never trade anything in when I want a new what ever it maybe, especially if it's something that I love like bikes and guns. For one thing they never give you what yours is worth on a trade, so you might as well keep it, if you really like it... ;)

7th

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You haven't even come close to getting into the useful life of your pistol. Even at the rate you're shooting it, i'll bet your kids could enjoy shooting it. Don't use shooting a lot as an excuse to get a new gun. Keep the one you have AND get a Baer or Brown, or whatever floats your boat. If you want something different, get the new gun with something different you want to try. How else do you think I got to six 1911's?? LOL

Its probably also good to remember, you know this gun. You know its good and possibly less good points. It may need a part or two over the years, but nothing that will be any real cause for concern. My carry gun is older, has a worn finish, and has been shot a lot. It also doesn't jam, and it does not bother me a bit to carry it. Some of my nicer ones are reliable enough, and perhaps more accurate, but I would probably start to feel bad about them wearing cosmetically. If something breaks on the carry gun, i'll fix it and keep shooting all of them.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
27,704 Posts
It doesn't sound like you are building a collection, you just want a pistol to shoot. The Wilson will last a lot more time. A lot more. And it is true about getting to know the feel of one gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your absolutely right, this gun is ready for the scrap pile! I would be willing to take it off your hands for a very reasonable price!!!:D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, No you can't have my Wilson! I wasn't suggesting that it would be worn out after 10,000 rounds, only that it would have more wear than a new pistol and would be a means of spending less in order to get more....thus the trade up part. No, you wouldn't get what it was worth, but it would be that much less you would have to come up with for the new one. Just a thought. I don't want to get rid of anything, was just wondering if some of you used that practice to get something new or different until you "found" the family heirloom.

You guys obviously don't ever get rid of anything that shoots halfway decent, but I find it hard to believe that the guys that shoot IPSC/IDPA and shoot the devil out of their guns keep them for nostalgia sake after they decide to get a new gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My Colt 70 series 1911 has a cracked frame after some 100,000 rounds. Trade it off? No way. It went back to Colt for repairs. And yes I have other 1911's, but I miss my Colt.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
sillymike said:
:eek:

I am not sure if I am the only one, but the more I shoot a gun, the more sentimental value it as. Mike.

That goes for me as well!

20-30 years from now, you can hold your old friend, and remember the good times, your old firend will always be there, and it wont change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts