1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me about a NIB 70's vintage combat commander for sale at his LGS. Is it worth trading a Kimber PRO CDP ll for this gun?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What condition are each of the guns in? And how well does each work?
If both were in equal state of wear and both worked as they were supposed to I would keep the Kimber.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have a Kimber and love it. That being said, I would trade if I were you. You can easily pick up another CDP. Finding a NIB Combat Commander... not as easy.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Depends. If you are a collector great. If you are looking for something to shoot, after the first round it is no longer NIB and worth less.

Having said that I would still trade, but just wanted to point that out.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
There are Commanders without the FPS. That is probably why they called it a Series 70. Makes me a little nervous to trade with someone that doesn't know what they have. Do you have experience shooting a Colt without all the goodies that Kimber already has? If not you might not like it, and end up spending a bunch of money for modifications. I don't see any cost benefit.

·
Registered
416 Posts
My Commanders Sn# starts 70SC. According to Colt it was manufactured in 1972. It was built during the 70 series run.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The early production Kimbers were well made and desired by afficianos, later production to meet demand resulted in forfeit of quality. An early production is a keeper

·
Registered
427 Posts
Any 1911 from 70s with "70" in the Serial number I consider a Series 70.
And I do own a Series 70 Combat Commander in Satin Nickel.
Does it have the Collet Barrel Bushing and the Accurizer Barrel?

Those 2 features are what makes a Colt Series 70.

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
Not a big deal. Series 70 is really becoming a generic term. Often you hear the older Commanders referred to a pre 80 Series. Commanders never had a collet or accurizer barrel bushing although I seem to remember Barstow made an aftermarket barrel that had such a bushing with 3 fingers for the Commander as opposed to the 4 Colt put on the ones in its Govs and Gold Cups back then.

A 72 would look pretty close to an 82 I have, although it should have sand blasted grips with silver meds as I recall if NIB. Also the 82 has a S/N that starts with 80BS. In 1983 Colt introduced the Series 80 mechanical firing pin block but they didn't flip a big switch and do it on Jan 1st so pre 80 Series were made that year also.

·
Registered
265 Posts
oldtimer4440

Does it have the Collet Barrel Bushing and the Accurizer Barrel?

Those 2 features are what makes a Colt Series 70.
If I recall right, the Commander never had the collet bushing. The word I got was that the collet bushing was to long for use in the short slide. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts