1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have already set up the deal to trade in my GI Micro for the full sized Parkerized Loaded on Tuesday. There are a list of things I want to do to it and was wondering in what order you would recommend having them done it. This will be my CC gun.

1. Remove ambidextrous safety for a single sided.
2. Armory Kote finish
3. Install a Wilson bullet proof extractor.
4. Dehorned.
5. Polish feed ramp.

Other things I'd like to do to it, some are just looks. These just aren't as important to me as the ones above.
1. Replace slide with one without the forward "fins"
2. I prefer a 4 to 4.5 trigger pull, but if it comes out of the box at 5 I'd be ok with that. So the Springfield "Defensive Package" upgrade is a possibility.

Not real interested in checkering and for now not interested in match grade barrel and bushing. (Maybe later, much later, when funds allow)

This is not a straight up trade, the Parkerized Loader in NIB and will cost me an extra $390 with the Micro tradein.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
just my personal opinion, but it seems your trading for something you dont like, and will have to "fix up".

as far as what order to have the modifications done, its pretty simple, you start with what affects the function of the gun, like having the ramp polished, and the new extractor, everything else is secondary in my opinion.

some guys my tell you that for not much extra money you can get a mil spec model and have the defense package done to it, but its personal preference so i wont try to change your mind about any of it. remember to add in the cost of having the slide fit to the frame, and if you will have new sights put on it or try to use the sights off of the old slide... you could wind up racking up quite a bit of money fast....

of course, i wouldnt send the gun in for the Armory Kote if your planning on changing the slide later anyway, the finish is something you want to have done pretty much last. and for the barrel, thats up to you too, my loaded model has been great just the way it came out of the box, and very accurate.

good luck, you will have to keep us posted on how it comes out

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went for the Loaded over the Mil-spec for a few of the options that I did want that are not available to the Mil-spec. Specifically the Low profile combat rear sights with Tritium 3 dot, High Hand Beavertail grip safety, Carry Bevel treatment, lightweight trigger and the titanium firing pin. All of which I would have to had installed on the Mil-spec.

It's not a matter of getting something I don't like, it's more that it isn't the gun I had in mind for me out of the box and except for custom built that for now and near future is out of my price range I will have to do some work on it to get it to were I would like to have it.

The Armory Kote would be the last thing I did. It was more for the look then functionality. For that point, so is the slide change out.

The safety, extractor, and feed ramp are my bigger concerns. The SA website states that the Loaded comes with a polished feed ramp and the Bevel Carry treatment. But in looking at them, the ramp still looks like it could use some more work and the edges are still a little sharper then I would prefer.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i hope it works out for you, the good thing is that you thought it through. if your getting it knowing already what you want to replace, and you can see what the extra costs would be, than there is nothing wrong with that.

just to let you know, all springers in my understanding use the titanium firing pin, they use it with a stronger spring, thats how they pass the drop test that some places require, even my gi has it.

also, springer decided that they use a "38 super" size firing pin in all of their 1911's, so if you order extra, be sure you get for a 38 super size, because the standard 45 size wont fit... this doesnt affect anything, they work just fine, thought i would tell you in case you didnt know. and when you replace the slide, you will need to know if the new slide takes the standrad pin and spring or if the one from the gun will fit.

good luck.. and remember the important thing is to take pictures as the progress goes along... we nuts around here are suckers for pics!

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great info, I didn't know about the firing pin. File that under "Things I had no clue about" !! As for the slide, that's down the road but had thought that I'd be sending it back to SA for the new one. Would want to have it fitted to the frame, so hopefully that part won't be too big of a problem.
Pics!, yea sucker for them here too. Have gone through several of the "show me yours" sections. Love that stuff.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
if the GI micro worked fine, i would stick with that one. much smaller carry gun than a 5inch loaded. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

This is what I traded my Micro in for. Wasn't really looking for the SS, but when I was looking a the few Loaded models, noticed one really bad thing... I couldn't see the night sights worth a dang in daylight. Getting old is a bummer. So I went with the straight white dots. They just snapped into focus a lot faster then the night sights did. Going to clean it up and go shooting on Thursday.

Dances, I had two really big complaints with the Micro, way more recoil then what I expected and real bad muzzle flash. I may be short and fat, but with a big enough jacket, I can hide anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, so I was so busy looking at other things that this went right by me. Got ready to clean is and guess what? No guild plug. This looks more like the setup on the TRP, and doesn't even match to SA book on what the Loaded is suppose to have. So kind of confused, had to use the take down procedure for the TRP to get the slide off. Is this better or worse then the old standard plug system, or does it just not matter? Or is this just what you get with a two piece guild rod? Umm feeling just a little newbish.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
that is the two piece full length guide rod. take an allen wrench and unscrew it and about half of it will come out, than you can do it the old fashion way. im planning on getting rid of mine because to me it doesnt benefit the gun except add a little weight to the front, and that just isnt something i need.

also keep in mind, when you look at your sights during the day for shooting, you need to look at the outline of the sight, not the dot on it... thats why it doesnt really matter if you can see the dots.. they are only to help you at night...

think about the old revolvers that didnt have dots at all, and all the target sights that dont have dots at all, the shooter is looking at the outline of the sights... the night sights or white dots are only used when it is dark enough that you really cant see the outline of the sights, then you have dots for reference.. some people forget that during well lit shooting, you dont need to see the night sights, or the dots..

good luck,

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Russel,

Had a huge problem the first time breaking it down, let's just say I felt like the gun was winning the battle. Not so bad the next few times though. Not a huge fan of having to use a tool to break down my gun, but to tell the truth, not a real big deal either. It was just the first time dealing with their FLGR that kind of threw me off.

As for the sights, the problem isn't the sights themself, it's my eyesight! Think a new trip to the ole eye doctor is in order. For 20 years in the military never had dots to play with, but have gotten use to them from my other guns for initial line up. I just found that these white dots just to seem to naturally line up for me quicker then the others. Maybe I just wanted them to :biglaugh:.

Overall very happy with my new springer. Heading to the range in about an hour to try it out. Just surprised myself in getting another Stainless since I do prefer a blued type (Parkerized or blued) gun as far as looks go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts