1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experiences with Traditions brand guns ? I'm interested in one of their over/unders for skeet shooting. Their retail is $669 suggested, which if it shoots as nice as it looks, then the price is pretty damn good for an over/under. I appreciate anyones feedback.

http://www.traditionsmuzzle.com/eShop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=SO8602060

Thanks !!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have quite a bit of experience with them, since I worked at Traditions before I moved to Arizona. The Field Hunters are very decent guns for the money, though a few of the early ones would double (problem with the trigger/sear geometry, IIRC). This was fixed years ago at the manufacturer in Italy, though, and doesn't seem to affect current production. No other problems that I'm aware of.

The guns are quite durable, and Traditions gets very few of them back for repairs of any kind (I was the guy who checked guns into the 'smithing shop, and saw every gun that came back). Once in a while one would come back with bluing salts still on the rib/barrel juncture, but those were normally caught at the gun shop and never made it to the consumer. Still worth a peek before you take one home, though.

I talked to a lot of peope who were shooting these guns in skeet, even though hunters are the primary market. They seemed to like the guns for that purpose, though I don't shoot skeet and so really can't comment very intelligently here. I did get the impression that the folks using the Field Hunters for skeet were pretty new to the game.

Downsides are that the wood is sometimes a little crude, as is the wood-to-metal fit, especially on the "base model" guns. The choke tubes are proprietary and rather pricey. Service, if it is needed, is only available at the facility in Connecticut -- no warranty stations. The guns are really tight at first, but smooth up with shooting. Turnaround time on repairs is normally pretty quick, on the order of 4-5 days in-house.

If you're on a budget, you can also get a good deal on a Field Hunter at Wal-Mart, if you don't mind shopping at a box store for a gun. The Wal-Mart Field Hunter gets you a silver-colored receiver with floral engraving and screw-in chokes for something like $529. Many Wally Worlds stock this gun. Others can special order it if they don't have it on hand.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike...I appreciate the info. Buying at a box store doesn't bother me at that price.

Chris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts