1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a Kimber Compact in SS sometime in the next few months, and would like to know where in Oklahoma would I find competant, experienced people to get some training from. I consider myself a "novice" gun owner (only shot pistols, shot an AR-15 once, no shotguns, yet...) and haven't had any kind of training for CCW or home defense. My income level unfortunately prevents me from going to Thunder Ranch, and I don't think going out of state is an option. Sorry, but Uncle Sam kinda gipped me this year, and the OK state gov shafted me, too (getting married last year didn't help...) Thanks for the help, guys and gals.

------------------
Blackjack
-----21----»

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilence"
-Thomas Jefferson

"I'd rather take matters into my own hands if, say, someone were to break into my home, steal my possessions, violate and possibly murder my wife, and try to end my life as well."
-Blackjack_21

·
Registered
340 Posts
In general as a new gun owner a cost effective way to get started is to train slowly. Each outing to the range should be to accomplish a particular step in handgun control. Focus on your stance, grip and sight picture. Shoot at about 30 feet to start at a NRA bullseye target. When you can get all your shots in the black increase the distance by 5 feet and continue. Shoot at least 3 times each week and dryfire at home. Try to get with a range that you may get pointers from some bullseye shooters. In this way you will learn trigger control and proper safe gun handling. Do this for about a year and save your brass if your not reloading yet. Search the net for bullseye shooting or handgun drills. They will give you ideas about how to train but you do need someone to watch you and help to arrange your shooting style to be correct. Always go to the range with a training plan to accomplish some goal. A year is not long and once you have a few rounds under your belt look around for formal training, take a two day basic handgun class. That will prepare you for clearing jams and help develop safe gun handling skills. When you buy a holster get a good one with a good quality belt. This forum can help in that area. Good luck and don't hurry, it will all come together in time and at your pace.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Blackjack

Wise move in getting some training with the 1911 - especially if you're a novice.

Don't know of an OK training facility, but if you could make the trip to N. Texas, there's a good solid shooting school called the Texas Pistol Academy near Sherman, Texas - not too far from the OK border. They offer 2 day weekend classes that will move your skill level significantly.
http://www.texaspistol.com/

A good option if you can't find an Oklahoma facility nearby.

JSP

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Don't know anyone in OK but I'm sure you can find a decent NRA instructor. If you can get a group of people together, you could probably get one of the traveling trainers to visit you. Cost per person for a weekend class should be $250-400 and well worth it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions, and keep 'em coming. Seems OK isn't known for good, solid pistol training... Too bad my wife and I can't move down to TX, but I'm an OU fan, so...

------------------
Blackjack
-----21----»

-Thomas Jefferson

"I'd rather take matters into my own hands if, say, someone were to break into my home, steal my possessions, violate and possibly murder my wife, and try to end my life as well."
-Blackjack_21

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blackjack, with a name like that head for Vegas! Front Sight is outside of Las Vegas and has a great 4-day defensive handgun class with people that know the 1911. I have taken the class and recommend it. You learn alot about yourself, shooting and your firearm.

With a little shopping you can find a discount certificate for your first class. And, who knows, you might pay for the trip at the tables!

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Blackjack,

What part of okalhoma do you hail from? is Del City closer to OK City, or Tulsa?

I highly recommend a school in SW Missouri called the Association of Professional Trainers (Rt 1, Box 220-L, Galena, MO 65656 417-357-8482) The director, BJ Johnson, is a first-rate instructor who has been there and done that. Most of APT's on-site classes are scheduled around weekends so you don't have to take off too much time from work, and
they're very reasonably priced. APT is located soutwest of Springfield, MO, and if want to bring your wife and/or family along,
Branson MO is about 30 miles away from the school. (Oops! I forgot, you wanted to save money!)

Although I know them only by reputation, forum Moderator Jim Higginbotham is a trainer with an outfit called Rangemaster, and if I recall correctly, they travel, if you can put together a class.

Oh, I almost forgot. That big indoor shooting range along I-40 in Oklahoma City used to host John Farnam classes once or twice a year.

I'm glad you're seeking out some training. Most people just don't understand that training is absolutely necessary. I also understand being on a budget; I'm supporting a family on a small town peace-officer's income. I managed to make one trip to Mecca (Gunsite) years ago, but since then I've stayed closer to home, and I've been very pleased with the quality of training I received at APT.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you can find a copy of Gunsites' "Basic Drill" it will improve you quickly. Basically it calls for 100 rounds every two weeks. As you get more shots in center mass you increase distance and speed. Go to the Gunsite website and see if it's listed there.

Or I'll see if I can find a copy I'll post it here.

The 1911A1 you have choosen wisely.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the answers and suggestions, folks. It's nice to know that people on the Web actually care about the newbies, especially a neophyte gun owner like me
. Anytime you can find that info, Elmer, send it my way.

Once again, thanks.

------------------
Blackjack
---------21----»

-Thomas Jefferson

"I'd rather take matters into my own hands if someone were to break into my home, steal my possessions, violate and possibly murder my wife, and try to end my life as well. In short, don't enter my house unannounced. You might leave on a stretcher."
-Blackjack_21

·
Registered
417 Posts
Some gun shops have public bulletin boards, and sometimes local instructors will post notice of their services there.

Do you have a public shootng range nearby? You might ask the range master there (or whatever they call themselves) for info.

Sometimes local law enforcement departments offer basic firearms training class for the public. You might want to drop in on your local PD, and see if they have a public bulletin board. If so, see if there's any postings for firearms safety/trainging classes either held by the PD, or sponsored by the PD. Lacking that, it doesn't hurt to ask the desk clerk/sergeant if the local PD sponsors firearms safety classes.

Lacking any direct info, you might ask, as a last resort, if anybody at any/all of the above mentioned places, if anyone knows of an NRA instructor.

Visit the NRA website. They could likely provide a list of local NRA instructors.

Check your local newpaper for notices about club meetings. If you have a local gun club that posts such meeting times and places, plan to attend. They're always happy to see new faces, and they're always happy to help.

Good luck, and good shooting.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just tried the NRA website, guess what? Absolutely NO NRA courses being taught in this "great" state...

What a bummer

I won't quit, however

------------------
Blackjack
---------21----»

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"
-Thomas Jefferson

"I'd rather take matters into my own hands if someone were to break into my home, steal my possessions, violate and possibly murder my wife, and try to end my life as well. In short, don't enter my house unannounced. You might leave on a stretcher."
-Blackjack_21

1 - 13 of 13 Posts