1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a better grasp on the finer aspects of 1911 shooting and tactics. Are there any good training video's or books? The Gov. courses are good, but not great and I seek to learn more. Plus we shoot M9's now

THanks to all

------------------
"It's better to be confused and distraught, than it is to be mislead in the wrong direction"

·
Registered
387 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
It is very hard to convey skills via books or video. I've found the best use for books or vidoes is to make sure you're performing a skill properly once you've had formal training.

Books can do well by addressing less physical topics such as mindset. For mindset I would recommend Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense." For mindset, basic shooting skills, and defense in general, there is no finer book than Tom Given's "Fighting Smarter" which actually incorporates Cooper's "Prinicples."

If you want books for shooting and tactical skills, there are only two that I really recommend. For tactics, Gabe Suarez's "The Tactical Advantage" is excellent and recommended by Given's in his book. The other book, actually its more of a manual, I highly recomment Jim Crews' "Some of the Answer: Handgun." The book is an awesome reference for all the basic pistol schools and his typical demo weapon is a 1911. The production qualities aren't as high as some other offerings but the information is exceptional.

I haven't seen any good firearms training videos that I would recommend. I've seen four of the GunSite videos and they are "OK" although I thought Tactical Pistol 2 was worthles. The videos impart lots of general info about the particular weapon system but don't offer a lot of shooting techniques. I haven't seen the Thunder Ranch videos but suspect that anything coming from Clint Smith would be excellent.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would recommend the Thunder Ranch videos, they are done well and convey good information, they can be very informative and help build basic skills. However, bare in mind that videos and books cannot take the place of proper training and instruction. Videos and books can be a good tool to see the basics demonstrated but should not be solely relied upon. A must read for anyone interested in self defense with any weapon is Jeff Cooper's "Principles of Personal Defense". It is an excellent foundation to build you defensive mindset. Anyone who carries a firearm should know this book.

[This message has been edited by A Johnston (edited 11-05-2001).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts