1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is the scenario:

I'm going to be flying to Oregon, then driving back through Oregon, California, to Arizona.
I want to bring my 1911 for my peace of mind during the long drive.
I know you have to declare a firearm for airline travel, and place it in your checked luggage. I believe you have to separate the ammunition and the firearm, but not sure if that is in two bags or what. I read on the TSA site that you should lock your luggage containing the firearm, which seems to conflict with their "unlocked luggage or we will break it" policy. I'm not sure what the airline policy is but I'll call before. It's probably going to be America West, Alaska, or Southwest.
I don't mind going through a security anal probe for this trip, but I don't want to be flagged for all future trips.

Finally, I'm concerned driving through Oregon and California. I believe you cannot have a loaded firearm accessible by the driver in CA, but this is a truck and so no trunk. Will luggage do? Does it for sure have to be unloaded? Seems to defeat the purpose.

I don't know anything about Oregon's laws. In Arizona I have no problem.

I would appreciate any and all comments but especially those that can back up their opinion with fact and/or links to government or otherwise reliable web pages with factual information.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would contact the airline you plan to fly on reguarding their rules.I can only speak of experience with Delta and they allowed me to carry up to 11lbs of ammo in my suitcase with my gun but in seperate containers. When I was checking in, I showed them the pistol and they through a tag in there and had me lock it back up and then I locked it in my suitcase.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In California the pistol must be unloaded and locked up. Generally, locking an unloaded pistol in the trunk of a car qualifies. The glove compartment DOES NOT qualify under any circumstances (the law is explicit on this). For pickup trucks, most people I know place the pistol in a locked container then place the container behind the seat where it is out of reach. The law is fuzzy on this, but I am not aware of anyone actually getting into trouble over doing this.

Also, check with the California Department of Justice on line. They have a firearms division and FAQ's and other quick links.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If you'd like to know about Concealed Carry Laws go to :

www.Packing.org

This site will give the information you need. It will also direct you to the States' Homepage dealing with Permits - Interstate Travel - Reciprosity among states

I would check the above site to insure you'll be following the correct path and you can check the Reciprosity among the states you intend to travel through.

I edited out the information I erred on. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
171 Posts
"Since 9-1-1 all Airlines have halted the transport of firearms even in the baggage section. The exceptions are Law Enforcement interstate travel for business/duty reasons or Pistol Competititions. Certain Airlines request documentation when travelling interstate for Fireams Competitions. "

Baloney! I travel all the time with handguns and I do not fit any of the criteria above!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
"Since 9-1-1 all Airlines have halted the transport of firearms even in the baggage section. The exceptions are Law Enforcement interstate travel for business/duty reasons or Pistol Competititions. Certain Airlines request documentation when travelling interstate for Fireams Competitions."

What a MA-ROON! (Best Bugs Bunny voice):)

Razor Ribbon, please don't take offense, but also please don't make authoritative statements regarding ideas about which you are (obviously) uninformed. Flying with firearms is inconvenient, but not THAT inconvenient. I've done it, and it's NOT been "halted". (Unless they changed things just yesterday!)

Opinions or simple misinformation are not at issue, but providing "statements of fact" which are altogether erroneous and grossly misinformed (while easily capable of being clearly determined to be false) isn't right.

Best.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I can't speak regarding transporting firearms while flying but I have done quite a bit of interstate travel with them by vehicle. The NRA web site has some summary information regarding state transportation laws but I would encourage you to search the web for online versions of each state's statutes. I have found this to be most helpful and I even print out the ones applicable for the states I am traveling in. Not for arguing with a LEO but just to periodically re-review to make sure I am well within their laws.

As a rule of thumb, if I am traveling with a firearm, I try to make it a point to avoid major cities like Chicago where we all know they don't like gun owners.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
This is from Delta's website: I'm not sure about other airlines. This is just the only one I've ever researched because my bro is coming up to see me from Ft. Lauderdale, and bringing his Colt 1991A1!!!

Here it is...

Shooting Equipment
One item of shooting equipment is accepted as part of a customer's free checked baggage allowance. For each item listed, one item of shooting equipment is defined as one or a combination of the following:

Rifles
One rifle case containing:

two or fewer rifles (with or without scopes)
one shooting mat
one small pistol tool kit
noise suppressers
11 lbs. of ammunition
Cases containing more than two rifles will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Shotguns
two shotguns
two shotgun cases
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two shotguns will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

Pistols
One pistol case containing:
two pistols
pistol telescopes
noise suppressers
a small pistol tool case
11 lbs. Of ammunition
Cases containing more than two pistols will be assessed an excess baggage charge.

When checking a firearm, you must:
declare to the Delta representative that they are checking a firearm (If a Security Checkpoint is prior to the Delta ticket counter, you must declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel.)
present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration
lock the firearm(s) in a hard-sided, crush-proof container and retain the key or combination
maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit
ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood or metal boxes
Note: Firearms transported to the United Kingdom as checked baggage require a permit from the United Kingdom. The passenger must contact the United Kingdom for more information regarding this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains incendiary projectiles is prohibited.

·
Registered
232 Posts
CA Laws & CA Attny. General Website link.

While in California it is legal to transport a firearm as long as you keep your handgun in a unloaded in a locked box or bag, behind the seat of your truck, and out of reach.

However, THIS IS IMPORTANT!! DO NOT have any of your magazines loaded. In California, a loaded magazine (whether it's in the firearm or not) is considered a loaded weapon.

The basic rules are these:

1) the gun must be unloaded
2) the gun must be out of reach
3) there must be a lock separating the ammunition and the firearm.
4) Drive carefully and don't get pulled over.

By the way, if you are moving to California, there are a whole other set of rules regarding bringing a handgun into the state. You can find everything you need here: http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms

Good luck. Be careful.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I went back and re-read the Airlines statement. Yes - I made an error! Don't cruicify me for it. I aplogize!

I'm new to the site and NEVER INTENDED to act in an AUTHORITATIVE MANNER.

I posted the : www.packing.org relating to driving through states. There are states that do not sanction out of state drivers passing through. Gordo63 pointed this out.

I made a statement and I erred. I apologize for the error. There's no need to become hostile. It seems as though there's a problem with L.E.O.'s posting.

I'm not a frequent flyer and I remember the concern with Airlines over transporting Arms at this time.

Again I apologize.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Razor, appreciated your link to help me get a handle on the state to state laws
Dvcer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not yet have a CCW (procrastinator).

That CA law seems hard to swallow. I guess I'm supposed to ask the carjacker to wait while I unlock the ammo case, load the magazines, unlock the pistol case, load the pistol, then engage.

I'm liking the "drive carefully, do not get pulled over" part.
That I can do.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think having a CCW changes how one is allowed to carry their handgun in a car. However, those who do not have their permit are stuck with hoping they run into a courteous carjacker.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I prefer to be within the confines of the law concerning CCW licensure. The consequences are not particularly appealing.
Even though you may drive "carefully" to avoid being pulled over there's always the possibility of accident which will have the same end result as a traffic stop. The probability is high that you'll be found in possesion without a permit in either case.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Razor Ribbon said:
I went back and re-read the Airlines statement. Yes - I made an error! Don't cruicify me for it. I aplogize!

I'm new to the site and NEVER INTENDED to act in an AUTHORITATIVE MANNER.

I posted the : www.packing.org relating to driving through states. There are states that do not sanction out of state drivers passing through. Gordo63 pointed this out.

I made a statement and I erred. I apologize for the error. There's no need to become hostile. It seems as though there's a problem with L.E.O.'s posting.

I'm not a frequent flyer and I remember the concern with Airlines over transporting Arms at this time.

Again I apologize.
No need to apologize for an honest mistake. It's when someone starts defending an erroneous statement to save face... (which I don't think you did).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts