1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just completed my first custom 1911. I do not like the trigger pull, it is 5 1/4 lbs. I looked at Brownell's catalogue and I don;t see any indication as to what trigger pull particular springs will provide. Does that mean that I modify the spring by bending it?
If so in what direction do I bend it to lessen the pull or do I do something else??

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
bob from butler said:
I just completed my first custom 1911. I do not like the trigger pull, it is 5 1/4 lbs. I looked at Brownell's catalogue and I don;t see any indication as to what trigger pull particular springs will provide. Does that mean that I modify the spring by bending it?
If so in what direction do I bend it to lessen the pull or do I do something else??
Don't take offense, but if you are not sure how the leafs of the sear spring actuate the sear, disconnector, and grip safety, you should not attempt to screw around with the trigger. The reason Brownells does not list what trigger pull the springs will provide is because they don't determine it, only contribute. It is true you can reduce trigger pull by bending the sear spring leafs, it's just not a given that you cn reduce it without getting hammer follow. It depends how the sear and hammer are cut and how they fit.

I'm not sure I understand:

"I just completed my first custom 1911."

Did you build it or have it built? You should let a gunsmith set up the trigger, you can specify a pull as low as 2# and still get a reliable trigger assuming the hammer and sear are first quality and cut properly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts