1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a nice used Kimber a few weeks ago that has obviously seen some use(holster wear on bluing), but is also functioning flawlessly (300+ rounds of 3 ammos without any problems). Now that I know it works and plan on keeping it I have a few questions I was hoping you guys could answer. First is about the trigger. It has some forward-back wiggle when the hammer is cocked, but when I take the slack up the trigger pull is crisp and light. I've noticed a screw? hole in the trigger itself that I'm guessing is for adjustment of some kind. However, I refuse to mess with something that's working without knowing what I'm doing. I'm hoping you guys will tell me I can get rid of the slack in my trigger by playing with that screw, and also tell me how to go about doing that. If not, it'll just be nice to know what it's for. Next, I've noticed the grip safety seems to stick out from the line of the grip even when depressed. Again, not a function problem, but something I might want to change as it wears a decent raw area in my hand. Is this usual for the Kimbers or is it something unique I seem to have acquired? My only other experience with the 1911 format is with a Charles Daly Empire Stainless that I haven't had to mess with. I guess this Kimber got my "must customize" juices flowing as I've never worried much about the smoothness of a trigger as long as the thing went bang. Thanks in advance for any help.
Scatmanblues

·
Registered
3 Posts
On the topic of triggers, the one on my Gold Cup would occasionally fall as the slide is released forward. Why is this happening and how to fix it? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
What do you mean by "the trigger falls"?"

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
tonerguy, thanks for pointing him in the right direction about the trigger over-travel adjustment. Your response "over there" is correct.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Scatmanblues, once you're able to disassemble/reassemble the fire control mechanism (trigger/sear/hammer/disconnector) of your gun with confidence, I think you'll find the take-up adjustment tabs that tonerguy mentioned in his referenced thread are already on your Kimber's trigger. That's assuming it still has its original trigger. The triggers on both of my Kimbers have these tabs.

Heed the advice in that thread about adjusting both take-up and overtravel; both adjustments can affect safe operation. If you're not sure what you're doing, let someone who is make the adjustments.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys. I'll probably just dump it off at the local smith when I decide to get it done. Guess I was looking for that easy fix that always ends up taking twice as long and costing three times as much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by mkc:
On the topic of triggers, the one on my Gold Cup would occasionally fall as the slide is released forward. Why is this happening and how to fix it? Any info would be appreciated.
Shane: I should have said that the hammer falls with the slide going forward.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts