1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a slight felt and audible click while pulling the trigger. It was happening with the safety on or off. After much examination and head scratching I realized what the problem was. The disconnector had chewed a small indent into the bottom of the slide (in the cut in part). When I pulled the trigger it would click as it moved over the indent before the sear moved. I polished the indent out and smoothed the top of the disconnector. It feels great now. My question is why did it create the indent to begin with and will it come back? I only have 10,000 or so rounds through it so I don't think it's a standard wear problem. I assumed the top of the disconnector was a little to sharp but I could be wrong. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
If I understand it correctly the disconnector needs to be fitted to the proper length, once of the reasons Brownells sells a scraping tool. As to whether it will come back in time, depends on it you let it "wear" in enough. They say to not shorten the disconnector, but to deepen the notch in the slide. Just remember, I am not a gunsmith even though I play one with my own guns.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Disconnector click is a common problem caused by the disconnector binding against the top of its cut in the slide. Using the previously mentioned scraper to deepen the cut will solve the problem. Do not, under any circumstances, shorten the disconnector.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I bought the disconnector notch tool from Brownells but before using it, I just used some 1000 wet sandpaper and with a small flathead screwdriver as support I polished the front part of the notch. The click disappeared! Also, be careful not to lengthen the notch. Just deepen it and I think the front part is where is really matters.

H

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I really hate disco click and there are few ways to deal with it.

Sometimes when your slide gets fitted (lowered) your gun will develop disco click. Also if your disco hole is too large and allows for a lot of head movement you can get "click". If you gun goes in to battery "tight" you can sometimes get click if the slide doesn't move into position 100% (see a new Les Baer gun for explanation)..

You can use a scraper. You can also fit the head of the disco. You should never shorten it less than min spec, however you will find that many aftermarket discos are WAAY long with oversize heads and will require some fitting and reshaping for best results.

IF you ever look at a GI disconnector you will see that the head is beveled on all sides so it doesn't hit the sidewalls of the track in the slide. The tip of the head has a nice polish and a flat where it rides the disconnector track.

So, with disconnector click, if you do not mind the look of it you can certainly scrape the slide notch, but sometimes you can tune and shorten the disconnector to remove the click if it is longer than spec. There are no absolutes with 1911 work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts