1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it?My trigger has about a quarter inch of travel before it breaks,is that creep?Do some triggers break right from their rest position with no travel?My trigger also has some vertical paly in its slot ,is this normal?

Thanks,Byron

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The travel before the break is called take-up. You say you have a QUARTER INCH of take-up? Good grief, are you sure it's a 1911?
You may need to see a gun doctor, stat.

Creep is when you are up against the trigger break and the the trigger requires additional movement before the hammer falls. Basically, creep is the opposite of crisp. A crisp trigger will break with very little (or no) "movement" after you get to the breaking point. Only pressure is necessary. Find an old surplus Mauser or Enfield and you'll see what creep is.
Conversely, if you want to experience a crisp trigger get ahold of a Colt Python and try the SA pull.

As to the vertical play, man that is a pet peeve of mine! I highly recommend Infinity triggers for two reasons.... They have interchangable shoes that come in different lengths. You can go from a short shoe to a long shoe, no problemo without having to fit another whole trigger. More importantly, they also have the BEST fit (and even require some filing) of any aftermarket trigger I've ever dealt with. You can get rid of vertical play by just switching to the Infinity. It is the ONLY way to go. They come in some kewl colors too.

Callahan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Inspector.My trigger doesn't seem to have much creep,when it gets to the break point just takes alittle extra pressure.

If your saying that all 1911 types have vertical play in the trigger, I'd have to say that sucks!Obviously it gets in the way of getting as consistant a pull as possible.I was surprised at this play cause my gun has a factory installed Videki and I thought these triggers where supposed to super duper.Maybe when a real pro installs an aftermarket trigger they eliminate this annoyance?

Makes me think of one last question;This vertical play is a result of the trigger design or the installation?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
This vertical play is a result of the trigger design or the installation?

Hard to say. Videki triggers are generally tantamount to a pretty decent fit. The assembly line syndrome may have been the cause. Union labor and all that jazz. I'm usually pretty "down" on Kimbers because of their incessant useage of cheap parts, but I will have to compliment the chef that cooked up the trigger on my (late) CDP. Great fit!

I highly recommend the Infinity trigger as I said. But they are expensive and some don't care for the titanium bow, although I've never had any complaints. A cheaper alternative would be the McCormick trigger. It's handsome, light, and like I said, can be fitted very nicely.

It is a shame your Videki was ruined. Glad to hear you don't have any creep. Good luck and have a 'smith install your new trigger for the best fit. He can get rid of that massive amount of take-up while he's at it.

Callahan

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Robb,some triggers have play and some don't?Are they supposed to have absolutly no play or does it really matter?Either a roll of the dice or carefull hand fitting to end up with a trigger that has no play?

So what I want to know is should I give a damn that my trigger has vertical play or do most all factory triggers have some?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Byron -

The trigger on a 1911 design will always have some play, it is the nature of the design. The trigger does not pivot on a pin like revolvers or double action autos. It rides in a track or groove in the frame. The dimensions of the groove and the dimensions of the trigger bow will determine how much verticle play you have. Some after market triggers fit the groove better and some don't. All of my triggers are perfectly fit and yet they all have some amount of verticle play. Knowing the nature of the beast helps you forget or ignore this minor inconvenience.

MadDog

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Guys, remember that most vertical trigger play is the result of the trigger shoe ITSELF, not the bow. Most aftermarket triggers require some filing of the top and bottom of the shoe. Take too much off, and you'll have a lot of play. Keep it just big enough that it doesn't drag on the frame, and you will have hardly any.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts