1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to stone the hammer and sear on my 1911. It will be my first time stoning a critical part. Is this something I can do without a jig, or should I spend the money to get a Power Custom Series I jig. Any tips or techniques would be appreciated.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Spend the money and get the jig-it is very difficult to get correct angles without it. I use the Wilson, and it comes with excellent instructions.

Invest in good stones, they are invaluable in getting a good trigger job.

Byrd

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have to agree with Bob & Byrd... don't touch sear/hammer without a jig - eyes alone won't get the angles right...

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the power series I fixture. I think it was money very well spent. I know there are other fixtures for a bit less but I have always had great results with the Power fixture - it seems almost idiot-proof, which has come in handy for me more then a couple of times...

Jared

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was thinking of also investing in the Power Jig. Does it come with instructions and are they clear? I have never attempted a trigger job before.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Yes, the jig does come with instructions, but practice will do you more good. Go to a gun shop and see if the 'smith has any old useless sears he might let you have for practice. Who knows, maybe an old beatup hammer or two as well. And, Byrd gave you some good advice...get good 1/2X6" stones...one fine and one extra fine is what I use mostly...and a medium once in a while to take down the hammer hooks initially.
BTW, you can buy a good trigger job for much less than the cost of the Powers jig and a set of stones so if you only plan to do one job, I'd give it some thought.

Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for the advise, Bob. I have 3 guns that I was considering doing. That's why I was thinking of buying the equipment. Otherwise, I would have hired a smith to do the job.

Also, you never know when you're going to buy a new gun that may need some work:)

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts