1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the 1911 platform. I just purchased a STI Edge 40 SW. Shot 400 rounds through it. The trigger is very nice but I'm wondering if using one of chucks trigger jigs would make it lighter and crisper? It's very nice now but I wouldn't mind a 2# or so trigger. I used it for USPSA.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I shoot with a couple open div. GM's,one of them being Steve Anderson,and they had me shoot the first season with the 3.5 lb trigger to just get used to the gun(transitions,splits,etc)and just had it dropped to 2.5 lbs and will get it from GS next week.btw I shoot limited major with my .40 sti edge.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
If you are looking for a sub 3 pound trigger, from what I've read here and in other forums, the TR trigger job will probably be your safest bet.

I forget who posted it but I believe one of the smiths here got around a 2 pound pull with hammer hooks below .018.

Out of curiosity, have you ever competed with a trigger that light before?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Chuck's jig does not include honing stones. You can buy those from Brownells for $30.

If you are new to the 1911 platform, I suggest you have the trigger done by an expert. You can buy a $65 Marvel sear jig from Brownells, but if you don't know how to do it, you can mess it up and spend a lot more on repairs or new parts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Chucks TR Jig is the best & easiest jig to use & get a perfect 2.5lb trigger on 1911's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm waiting to test my trigger before I do anything. This is the nicest gun I have ever shot and will not mess it up. I was thinking about buying a used 1911 and taking it apart and studying it. I bought Jerry Kuhnhausen books mentioned about 1911. I will tinker with a used gun first. Maybe use it for single stack. Are there 1911 40SW I should consider or stay away from?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I adjusted my edge to under 2 lbs by polishing the surfaces. I decided that was too light for me and brought it up to 2 1/2.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Brownells published an article by Jack Weigand titled 2 1/2 Pound Trigger Job. Sorry I don't have a link to it, but a search should find it easily. Since I didn't have a sear jig I did not fool around with that part, but followed the rest of the instructions. I have done 2 of my 1911s and they both pass all safety function tests and I will bet trigger pull is as good as any gunsmith can produce. I did not want to go down to 2 1/2 and have mine around 3. If you don't have a digital pull gauge you can pay for one, and have money leftover, with what you save by doing it yourself. Granted, you have to be able to disassemble/reassemble your pistol, but there is plenty of info on this available, and it is not terribly complicated if you are a bit mechanically inclined.

·
Premium Member
8,585 Posts
I've used triggers from the high 2's to low/mid 3 pound pulls for a good bit. I tried lowering my steel gun to 2 pounds 2 ounces and can say there is a huge difference. Getting familiar with the trigger is a must do before using the pistol in any competitions. I feel much better with a 3 pound trigger

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
"Im new to the 1911 platform." "I will tinker with a used gun first."

You didn't ask but,

I encourage you to you learn to love the Edge the way it is before you "tinker with the trigger." A 2# trigger in the hands of the inexperienced is not the best way to learn trigger control or handgun safety. Most all the A/D's I have seen have been with triggers too light for the level of experience of the shootist.

The Edge that I shot earlier this year had a nice crisp trigger pull in the 3 pound range. Pounds of pressure to drop the hammer is not as important as a predictable trigger that is safe. A/D's are not what you want on your resume'.

But then, what do I know,

John, Retired LEO, POST Certified Fireams Instructor, SuperSeniorSingleStackShootist

1 - 12 of 12 Posts