1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok...
You put your finger on the trigger

start to squeeze

there is slack or "slop" between the time you start to squeeze the trigger and the time that the trigger starts to engage and finally trip the hammer

How do you get rid of it?

I am fairly certain that a 'smith will be needed to get rid of this, but what causes it and how does a 'smith fix it?

If I get a trigger job, what will be done, and what will that work accomplish?

Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Depending on the maker of your trigger, it could be as easy as bending a tab.

The forward movement of the trigger is halted when the trigger bow contacts the forward end of the slot cut for it in the frame. This varies a little depending on manufacturer. Some triggers come with little tabs at the forward end of the bow that can be bent so as to make contact sooner, thus limiting forward travel and the take-up required before the trigger bow contacts the disconnector/sear.

If your trigger doesn't have the tab, you would have to have a gunsmith modify the trigger bow to take out the overtravel. Considering the relatively low price of a new trigger, I would just buy one with the tab and have it installed and adjusted.

Mikey

Mikey

·
Registered
257 Posts
Don't forget all 1911 triggers need a certain amount of take-up and overtravel to prevent going full auto. Also remember that the less take-up built in to the gun, the less staging you can do and the less forgiving it becomes to shooter error(not true with overtravel).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gentlemen.

Does the trigger on the Colt XS have these tabs?

I really like the look of my trigger and it is not that big of a deal (the slack that is).

But what is done during a trigger job and what does it affect?

I have to get my ejector fixed so I was thinking about a trigger job at the same time.

Don't need no reliability work, only one FTF out of 600 rounds, and that one was the last round out of a colt mag.

Thanks

·
Registered
309 Posts
Excessive pre travel is the first thing I reduce when doing a full house, competition trigger job on a customers gun. I can adjust the exsisting trigger or replace it with an after market part with a tab ( Chip McCormic) One thing to remember is that when you do this, you must re fit the grip saftey to function properly. Otherwise one of 2 things happen, the gun won't fire or will fire without compressing the grip saftey. Good luck on your project.

------------------
KEEP SHOOTIN' PINMAN www.bcarmory.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts