1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks:

I have a Gunsite GSP2000 that I bought used and it's having a bit of a problem. It's basically a slightly modified Springfield Armory, with what looks like a Videcki trigger.

Here's the problem. It happens about 50% of the times I pull the trigger. The initial take up is normal. Then you reach the second stage and start building up pressure on the trigger. After you've got some pressure on the second stage, the trigger then moves rearwards just a bit (couple thousandths?). The trigger stops, you build up more pressure, and then finally the hammer falls.

I disassembled the pistol and detail cleaned it. I noticed the following: there are some file marks on the bottom of the hammer, but they seem to be well below the tip. I also noted that the bottom of the disconnector (the part that looks like a small spade and interacts with the trigger bow) was not flat, but rather the edge seems to have a bow in it.

I'll probably send this in to a gunsmith to fix, but I'm wondering what might be the cause. Any clues?

M1911

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Could be lots of different things!

Trigger bow binding in the frame (bow bent, raceway not smooth, etc...)

Hammer/sear angles not correctly matched.

Disconnector drag in frame.

Worn sear/hammer pins allowing some pivoting of hammer/sear.

Sear spring not tensioned correctly.

I like your idea of sending it to a 'smith.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is a carry gun. The overtravel set screw has been removed (and will stay that way).

M1911

·
Registered
67 Posts
M1911,
Maladjustment of the overtravel can cause
the disconnector to not reseat ( if the overtravel is Insufficient ) and I presume
that is your reason for its removal ...

HOWEVER, Excessive overtravel can cause the
trigger bow to contact and unload the sear
leaf and also cause doubling _ I can attest
to That.. Be Sure removing that screw is
truly safe !!!

Best,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a carry gun. The overtravel set screw has been removed (and will stay that way).
M1911

·
Registered
713 Posts
M1911...
see "The Griz's post on sa trigger and follow up. However, if you can see the hammer move back the sear nose is too short.
replace it with a C&S or Nowlin!

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I tend to agree with everyone to a point.Pistolwrench has it,it's creep.Shane has alot of the causes,and finding them can be a bitch at times.If you're not sure about it,give it to someone that knows 1911s so you don't cause yourself an ulcer or empty wallet.Have your trigger checked for the likelihood(?) of Southgun's post though.This happens from time to time if the tolerance stacking is right.It probably isn't a prob,but at least make sure you're not on the edge without the screw.

These kind of intermittent probs suck.It takes time to track some down to the weirdest cause.Good luck,and sorry to be of no help whatsoever.

PS. If the flat on the bottom of the DIS that rides the bow of the trigger is not riding evenly (warped as you said),that could put side pressure on the bow and bind it.Start there first.

[This message has been edited by rex (edited 12-03-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts